Measured three times, cut once and wouldn't ya know it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Measured three times, cut once and wouldn't ya know it...

After all the painstaking measurements, and re measuring, I managed to be off 1/4" on my circle cutting jig, making my candle stand top 1/2" too small overall. The cut with my MLCS router bit wasn't as clean going across the grain as I would have hoped either... I need to re think my approach.

Any suggestions for using a router to cut a circle in 4/4 oak?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Dave - do you have to use the router to cut the circle? I'm sure you could make that work after some fine tuning, but why not cut large with a jig saw or band saw, then clean up with either the router or the lathe?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

You are working on my same thought process. I need double stick carpet tape to do this, but I need that for a mess of router projects anyway... (Signmaking jig stuff...)
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

If I'm ever trimming a curve flush using a template or a jig (like your circle jig), I now always cut as close to the final dimension using a jigsaw or bandsaw.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Measurement problem or fundamental math problem? Did you compute the distance to the inside edge of the router bit or the outside edge and subtract rather than add a half router bit thickness to the intended radius?

Using a spiral downcut bit will eliminate the tearout. Taking small depth passes will also make a cleaner cit. If you are using a 1/4" bit then passes of around 1/8" are almost called for. It will take a while but protect the bit and make a clean cut.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-13-2017, 04:14 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Fundamental math problem. I measured center to center, forgetting the size of the router bit itself as a needed variable... (D'oh!).

I have enough material, and I wanted the top to be larger anyway, I am going to do a larger glue up, and add about 2" to the diameter of this thing... Now what to do with a messed up disk? I am thinking Lazy Susan for a Christmas gift for a friends Son and Daughter in law that just got married...

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
              Fundamental math problem. I measured center to center, forgetting the size of the router bit itself as a needed variable... (D'oh!).

I have enough material, and I wanted the top to be larger anyway, I am going to do a larger glue up, and add about 2" to the diameter of this thing... Now what to do with a messed up disk? I am thinking Lazy Susan for a Christmas gift for a friends Son and Daughter in law that just got married...
              Take a long straight with the grain 1/4" wide strip of a contrasting hardwoord, steam it and wrap around the table circle top and glue and clamp in place.
              Might have to make a steam fixture out of PVC pipe or something.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Already moved on to the glue up for the 2nd one. But not a bad solution...

Comment

Working...