Repairing dumpster dive treasures or disasters... A.K.A. why am I doing this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Repairing dumpster dive treasures or disasters... A.K.A. why am I doing this?

So a couple of months ago, my wife saw something she made me pick up. An old, top slit because the owner had kept wet flower pots on it, home made candle table. The center post was good, the legs were decent but not even, and the top was warped and had split along an insufficient glue line. So I took it home, took the top off, and started looking at it. Okay pretty basic. Finish looks to be Minwax Golden Oak, material looks like just regular old oak. Now is where I get stupid. I went to Home Depot because, well, the Hardwood dealers are WAY too far away from me to be worth it gas wise, and bought an 8' x 6" piece of 4/4 oak. Got busy with the saw and slabbed off 4 13" long pieces, and did 2 biscuit joined glue ups.

So I spent a quick evening sanding the glue line, and prepping the slabs for routing the circle, only to find the center pin my circle cutting jig used was WAY too long. Find another nail, clip it short at an angle with some diagonal cutting pliers and off the the races I went. Start setting up the router circle cutting jig when my wife comes to the shop. The neighbors are throwing away an old dresser! I want to make an entertainment console out of it! You guys do know that translates to.. Honey, I want you to take this dried up pile of sticks and make a beautiful entertainment console for me. Can you do that? Challenge accepted. Block access to pinterest for my wife before I have so many projects I will never get them done before I die.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Dave, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Your dear wife is encouraging shop time, and possibly justifying some needed new tools - I don't see the down side.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I should pan the camera around the shop. I have more projects than I have time and resources!

My restore / repurpose projects at this time are...

#1. Candle stand. Replace top, even legs, refinish.
      #2. Dresser refurbish / entertainment console conversion.
      #3. Re-slat iron / wood garden bench.I have LOTS of rusted steel fasteners to remove. I need to decide on a wood to make the new slats from. Any recommendations for affordable, durable, and rot resistant?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Dave, regarding your wood selection (Q3), check this out from article from Wood.
        Advantages and disadvantages of 9 outdoor woods.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave, for outdoor projects I use Western Red Cedar, the cheap stuff from the fencing supplies section. The Dog-eared 6 ft x 6" boards are 9/16-5/8" thick and 5.5" actual width. these days.
          They are pretty durable for outdoor projects, usually lasting 10 or more years, although they do turn silver gray and show a fair amount of weathering.
          I use no finish; if you finish them then they will need to be finished every year.
          Plant stands, potting bench, trellises, bench, etc.

I go by the lumber every other time I visit Lowes or HD. I pick up about 5 or 6 boards that are straight, flat reasonably clear and not checked or split. If they don't have any (and that is often) I don't buy them, The best time is right after a fresh delivery. Because when it gets old then they just have everyone's culls-warped, split and huge knots! I think they run about $1.59 now. And keep a stock of straight flat boards for outdoor projects.
          If I need legs I'll laminate two or three together about 2-3.5" wide as needed. They are rough cut which gives a nice rustic look, but if you want you can plane them.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-18-2017, 03:31 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Not a bad idea. I need bench slats. I can do 3/4 I believe, but I figured Cedar wouldn't be up to supporting multiple people on a bench. Particularly if they are heavy...

Comment

• Two Much
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Long Island, NY
              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Originally posted by dbhost
              Not a bad idea. I need bench slats. I can do 3/4 I believe, but I figured Cedar wouldn't be up to supporting multiple people on a bench. Particularly if they are heavy...
              We did over two garden benches a few years ago with 5/4 pressure treated lumber. It looks good and held up well.

Comment

• Two Much
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Long Island, NY
                • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Am I to late with my suggestion; is the bench project completed?

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Nope. Funny thing about hurricanes. They tend to be distracting...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I used them for bench slats (and fence boards are down to 5/8" or even 9/16" now) - supported every 12-18" they hold me (210 lbs) fine.
                    It was made in 2012 I think.
                    Stool has 5/8" top, also, supported by a single 2x4 running crosswise..2013.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170927_162643_resized.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	831635
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...