X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steelyray
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2017
    • Oxford, MI
    • My right arm and a Makita at the moment.

Best protector for front door

Hi all. Newbie here that recently bought a house with a beautiful wooden front door with a deep reddish finish. Not sure if it is mahogany, cherry, or what, but I want it to stay beautiful. What should I use as a product? Penofin blue? Some kind of marine varnish? Are we talking stripping it and recoating or just oiling it up every so often? The door faces to the north and is in the shade much of the time. I'll send a pic when I can. What are your favorite products for UV protection and such?
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I use Helsman Spar poly for anything that is subjected to UV. It may not be the best but it is available! I learned about Spar from my sail boat buddies who swore by it. If it will stand up to the broiling sun on the rails of a sail boat it should be ok for a front door of a house! ...... caution,..... I've never had great luck on large vertical surfaces like a door. It will sag on you in a minute. For a door I would set it up on saw horses and brush if on. Timing is important, or your wife will have to work night shift guarding the open door all night! Not good.

Comment

Working...