• Show
Clear All
  • Woodboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Lakewood, Colorado.
    • BT3100

Favorite putty?

Just finished some 6 inch crown molding (alder) and need to fill some joints. I have used the stick type epoxy that you roll together in your hand like modeling clay and press into the joint. I find that this stuff sets too fast and is so hard when it cures that it is hard to sand, or carve. Anyone use the old Durham's water putty for molding? Thoughts? My joints were nailed and glued, so I am pretty confident I won't get lots of movement.
    "Life is tough, where a cup"
    Dennis Miller
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I've used Durhams. Good stuff if you are not staining as it doesn't tint worth a darn. I usually buy putty in a matching color. I've tired several brands but really do not have a preference. I've just not used enough of it to notice any differences.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

There are some instances in which I use epoxy/two mix putties but not when I am sanding on a previously smooth area - unless a chunk is out. If a chunk is out and I need good adhesion, I will use the epoxy putty and file it down, then sand with a board backed sandpaper. But for general purposes such as nail or screw holes, I generally use the purple kind that turns white when cured. I like that one.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...