• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Questions about Finishing Products for Redwood

Hello everyone!! I've been MIA for a very long time here and on the NEW (to me) site!!! Long story short, i am working on a project for my side yard. My first project in CA!

I'm building a double door for the side entrance. It's built out of redwood. I would attach a picture, but I can't remember how, so maybe I will update this post in a couple of days once i figure out how to.

The next step is to apply a finish. I am looking for something that has a tint (color) in a semi-transparent finish so that the grain is visible. So i looked at what HD had, Behr. They say that it has 15yr warranty...I guess that speaks to the time or length of protection I can expect form that stain. I understand that the weather protection is a function of exposure, etc...none the less, they say it will last ideally 15yrs. Now another product that I saw at a local wood supplier is Cetol by Sikkens. Its a semi-transparent in "Redwood" color. Sikkens product does not show or have any warranty....so I have no idea of how long it may last. Sikkens cost 2x's what HD sells. The Sikkens product is 2 x's the cost of the Behr.

What are you thoughts? Why? Any other product I should consider... and Why? I have to apply the finish this weekend...want to finish the gate inside the garage before installing it this weekend.

Thank you for your help/suggestions/comments in advance!!
    • Nov 2006
    • BT3100

i went with the Sikkens Transparent (not semi-transparent) Redwood stain...the sample at the store didn't look bad and my initial test revealed a light shade. However, it seemed much darker when I went mix it on sunday morning...i followed through and applied the finish. quite a bit darker than desired...but its too late. It turns out that I did not mix the gallon throughly enough when i tested it on the sample wood...i didn't second guess the results because it looked like the sample in the store. As applied, i can see the wood grains, but the redwood look (light red and white wood) is gone. will post some pics after.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I am going to be the biggest hypocrite and suggest (after that the fact) that you test on scrap first.

There was a discussion on another forum where several members used Sherwin Williams A100 ultra deep tint base to give a clear finish to outdoor projects. They have been happy with the results after a couple years of outdoor exposure.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • BT3100

totally agree...caveat, mix it properly for the sample. i did do a sample...just didn't stir the can with a stick. i shook it for quite a bit back/forth, up and down...though that should have been good enough. but i found out otherwise later

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Welcome back. Good to see you posting again!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • BT3100

thanks! looking at the finished projects reminds me of how much i've missed out on

Comment

Working...