Thermostatically Controlled Paint Glue Cabinet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Thermostatically Controlled Paint Glue Cabinet?

I lose more glue and paint to freezing in the winter than heat in the summer. And I don't keep lots of it on hand. I have been thinking of MAKING a 2x3 foot 3' high cabinet on rollers with a door. Not sealed perfectly but reasonably tight. I want to put a 15 watt incandescent bulb in the bottom (maybe a 7.5 watt bulb) and having some kind of thermostat that would come on automatically when the temp dropped down to 40° F.

1. What kind of thermostat do I search for that will turn 120V on and off, unlike AC and Heat thermostats that uses 12V?

2. What is the best kind of bulb.

3. I am going to make a paint/glue cabinet for organization purposes this spring or summer anyway, but I need something that will keep the glue and paint from reaching down to 35° or 32°.

Anyone experienced with this? I remember bulbs being used in similar instances in the past, and while growing up - just to keep things from freezing, but in todays technology, there might be something better. But I need to keep cost down. My idea will be a bulb in the bottom, wall and top about 4 inches away, 1/2 inch holes in top and on sides to diffuse the heat. Low wattage bulb; thermostat such as is used in electrical cord used to heat outdoor pipes to keep from freezing.

Am I crazy?
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Not a crazy idea at all.

I've been thinking about the same thing, with a somewhat larger cabinet to keep stain, varnish, glue etc. in, once I move the shop out to the new shed. That's a ways off yet, but the need will be there and I'm always thinking ahead as I slowly progress.

We have one of those ceramic tower heaters that has a low 40° setting, but that is too large for a cabinet like this. When we were cleaning out the in-laws old house I found a small ceramic "cube" heater, but although it appears that it was never used, it only has analog controls with a "low" setting. One thing noticeable with that, is the "sensor" is built into the cord, which would seem to me that it cuts the power on an off.

I like the idea of using a bulb to heat with, as it seems a lot safer. I just did a quick "Google" search for "110 Volt thermostat" and found several links. Here's the one on Amazon, which shows some fairly inexpensive items. https://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digi.../dp/B00C4TMSWI

I hope these are for what we are discussing.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 02-15-2017, 11:50 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

No thoughts on the heat source or thermostat control but a suggestion for the cabinet. Watch C/L for a free refrigerator. Already sealed and well insulated.

Mine is a side-by-side type. I stripped out the compressor then cut a hole in the divider wall and one on the outside wall of the freezer section to take a vent pipe for fumes.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I use a thermo cube for freeze protection on my well. It turns on a low wattage cfl bulb and works well.( unless the bulb burns out and you don't know it)
        i purchased mine at Lowes some years ago for about $15.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3899.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	829288

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I guess I like KISS (keep it simple, stupid)... I keep my glue and my most frequently used finishes in the entryway closet, just inside the house from my garage/shop. My lesser used finishes are kept underneath the stairs with all our other leftover paints from the house, and still pretty accessible.
          Last edited by tfischer; 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
            Not a crazy idea at all.

I like the idea of using a bulb to heat with, as it seems a lot safer. I just did a quick "Google" search for "110 Volt thermostat" and found several links. Here's the one on Amazon, which shows some fairly inexpensive items. https://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digi.../dp/B00C4TMSWI

I hope these are for what we are discussing.

CWS
            Thanks. That is what I need. And everyone's suggestions are appreciated. I thought about a small refrigerator but then also thought that I would be better off with my own design. This is out in my unheated shop. I do have an electric heater in it but I don't like leaving it on overnight for general principles.

Capn - That is simple enough, but CWS's looks like a winner with settings according to my wishes. I will probably buy one of those Easy Heat-Freeze Free plugs to have on hand. IT sure looks handy.

Thanks!
            Hank Lee

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

John Heisz on YouTube did exactly that. He's one of my favorite channels.

Article, if you prefer to read it:

YouTube always has the answer, lol. Who needs college, any more? LOL
              Last edited by JoeyGee; 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM.
              Joe

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Thanks Joe, that was a couple of good videos. Helpful!
                Hank Lee

Comment

Working...