• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • havighurst
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • Metamora, MI, USA.

Which is the better choice?

I want to build a tall deck chair from 2x4s. Would it be better to use pressure treated lumber and finish with deck stain or from regular 2x4s and finish by priming and outdoor paint? FYI: I live in Michigan.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

With everyone now being in the organic mode they would probably have a stroke if someone suggested pressure treated. Good luck finding enough quality 2x4s to build one with. Framing 2x4s treated with something like Thompsons Water seal will probably hold up as well to the elements as pressure treated.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Other than for foundation support for a shed or similar that will be in contact or close to the ground in a permanent structure I would not use pressure treated. As Carl stated use a good finish and it will hold up pretty well.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• havighurst
        Established Member
        • Jun 2004
        • Metamora, MI, USA.

Thanks for the responses. It is sure easier to find untreated 2x4s. Fiinding them straight is another story.
        \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Well I built these from Treated and Cedar ... seems fine to me and still holding up well ... over a year now ... I'm not that freaky about treated lumber ... See the link below

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I'll echo the first two responders.... go with quality 2 x 4's and then stain and water seal. You may have to deal with them every year or two unless you get them indoors or cover them in the winter months though. I'd stay away from pressure treated lumber, especially if anyone may sit on them with bare arms and legs, because of the chemicals.

On the quality side of things, I think they use the worst quality possible for pressure treating. I just bought three PT 2 x 4's and a dozen regular grade 2 x 4's at my local Lowes'. The un-treated 2 x 4's were slightly less than $3 apiece and were far better quality. The PT stuff was wet and fairly rough looking.... I'd have to dry them out considerably before I could sand them to any satisfaction. The premium grade 2 x 4's were about a dollar more, but I'm using them for studs, not a project such as yours.

I went to the local Home Depot first, but there PT stock was deplorable... uneven and cracked and most were nowhere near consistent, with gouges, missing edges, and in some cases even showing missing knots. I wouldn't use any of them for even a utility deck.

I you do decide on PT lumber for your chair, make sure you use compatible hardware, as the stuff can be very corrosive.

I'm located here in the greater Binghamton, NY area (home of the new Little League World Champions - Main-Endwell), so stock in your area may well be different.

Good luck with your project,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

To throw out another option, why not consider cedar 2x4's?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I see a lot of outside furniture for sale now made from the plastic woods. It's expensive but should last a long time.

Comment

• havighurst
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2004
                  • Metamora, MI, USA.

Cedar and the newer plastic woods might be an option, but it might be better to build a "prototype" from 2x4s and tweak the design if necessary. I have some 4/4 cedar that I have had for years, but would need to find a quality supplier cedar locally for 2x4s. My local big box stores are too hit or miss on quality.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Wow, didn't realize there was so much hate on PT lumber. It's super common around these parts. My biggest gripe about it is it isn't the most attractive stuff around.

I've found Thompson's Water Seal to be junk. It's basically liquid wax and will last a few months at best. If you don't want to use PT I'd use Cedar or some other outdoor-grade wood... standard lumber will last a few years at best even with the most attentive of re-sealings every year.

Comment

Working...