• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

HVLP spraying finishes

Do a lot of you here spray your finishes? I got the "HomeRight Finish Max" HVLP spray gun for my birthday earlier this month, and so far I'm really happy with it. I used it to finish a "Reverie Harp" that I built for my brother's wife who was in hospice of cancer (funeral was yesterday ) and was quite pleased with the results. I used MinWax "brush on" lacquer as it was the only thing I could readily find at either Lowes or HD and I was on a tight schedule to get it done. It didn't need diluting and worked very well.

In the past my "go-to" finish was wipe-on poly, which I would sometimes just buy the Minwax variety of, and sometimes make my own by thinning regular poly with naphtha. I've also recently discovered the Rustoleum water-based poly and had good results brushing it on.

The worst part about spraying the lacquer is the fumes... I bought a decent 3M respirator to try not to kill myself using it.

Just curious about other's experiences with HVLP.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Here's some pics of the finished (pun intended) project. Sorry for the sideways rotation, evidently the forum pic stuff doesn't honor rotating data.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a Fuji Mighty Max 3 stage HVLP system that I've been using for about 5 years. I've been sticking with CrystalLac water based poly and need to thin it very little to spray it. I used to spray lacquer with a cheap gun attached to my compressor, but the fumes were intolerable.
      Chr's

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I also have a Fugi Mini mite 3 stage. I usually spray Resisthane. It is a water base lacquer.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have an Earlex Spraystation. I've sprayed really thinned down cabinet paint and General Finishes Endurovar WB Polyurethane is my go to clear finish. My favorite thing is the fast drying but I miss the color imparted by my other wiped on oil finish. It's also a challenge to clear enough space in the garage to spray and not get dust on the pieces. I also don't do any spraying in the winter time. I try to spray out in the yard as much as possible.
          Last edited by atgcpaul; 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

IS there a clear step by step instructions / method for cleaning an HLVP sprayer? I used my HF sprayer on the bunk beds I made a couple of months ago and it took me about 30 to 40 minutes to get it decently clean.

It sure seems more involved now than the simple but quality sprayers we used on car repair in the '70s. We just swished thinner in them and spayed, swished more and sprayed. then wiped the can out, clean.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Condolences to the death of your sister in law. I'll be sending good thoughts to Plymouth.

Comment

Working...