• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Atgcpaul, in your move, will you still continue woodworking? Staying in contact with Sawdustzone?
    This thread is almost a yr old, what are everyone thoughts about digital magazine media at this time?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

One problem I see with FWW DVD archives, and probably other magazine archives, is you have a good library of their past issues but you loose out on future issues. Do they offer updated dvds at a reasonable price or are they $99 each again?

Comment

• d_meister
        Established Member
        • Feb 2009
        • La Conner, WA.
        • BT3000

I would suspect that you could save the on line magazine subscription files and keep them on your computer. A quick search and I found the January 2017 Fine Woodworking issue available from a pirate source in PDF format. Looks just like the print version, ads and all.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          One problem I see with FWW DVD archives, and probably other magazine archives, is you have a good library of their past issues but you loose out on future issues. Do they offer updated dvds at a reasonable price or are they $99 each again?
          The annual update is $20
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
            Atgcpaul, in your move, will you still continue woodworking? Staying in contact with Sawdustzone?
            We will be moving to a foreign country for my wife's work. When and where are still unknowns. Housing is provided but it's a dice roll on what kind of housing we get. Depending on where we go and what's available, we could be in an apartment or in some nice house on a lake. I don't even know what kind of lumber will be available.

All my big tools will go in storage (sniff, sniff). Depending on where we go, my smaller power tools might get stored, too, but I will at least bring some DIY tools and nearly all my hand tools (and maybe some new ones).

I don't plan on losing touch with this site. Hopefully I can still contribute. Biggest bummer is figuring out what to do with all the lumber I have. We told my family at Christmas and I've put it out there that if someone wants me to build them something, now is the time to ask.

Paul

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I've been taking Shop Notes for years. I like it, it has good plans and not any onslaught of advertising. It also comes with side holes punched for sticking it in a notebook, they also sell a notebook for a years publication. It they would only perforate the edge of the junk pages so you could tear them out you could get 3-4 years publications in one notebook. The also offer an online access to all their past issues for $79' which I haven't taken yet. I assumed it was per year so I contacted ShopNotes. This thread made me think. ( that's twice this week, about my New Years resolution limit ) so I emailed them. Their answer .....
              Thank you for writing us. The $79.00 is a one time fee and that is access to all the past issues of ShopNotes magazine online for as long as we have a website to access.
              capncarl

Comment

Working...