• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I think you've found a nice 'niche', as your models surely must have a good demand. I don't know of course, but I would think that such modeling is fairly rare. I'm thinking that model airplane building has probably fallen away from the popularity that it once had, but maybe I'm wrong in that respect. Surely I don't see the kind of model availability that there once was.

Even in my teen years, I was somewhat in the minority of model builders at the time. Most kids who were into 'modeling' were into cars. While not necessarily easier to build, I think more people could relate to them better; and Lord knows, they were a lot easier to display than model airplanes, as the latter just wouldn't fit well on a shelf (I would hang mine from the ceiling of my bedroom, where my mother would it find it absolutely necessary to knock one or two down on occasion as she dusted.

Today, I'm thinking anyone who might want a model of their helo or fixed-wing would be sort of hard-pressed to find one, especially if they want the exact model of a craft that they own or are taking lessons on.

Keep up the great work,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2015
      • Spokane Wa
      • Craftsman

I don't do as much selling today as the reality of this will be just a hobby that more than pays for itself. Your right though to a select few are these really useful I have a stand that is wall mounted that gives interest to the art. Aircraft owners like having models in their offices. My creations are more durable than my contemporaries I've dropped mine from 8 feet in the air with little damage. And as weathervanes they are fun to watch. I don't mention the use of rubbish wood to make these a lot as once they are fabricated you can't tell.. I also like restoring toro snow throwers too cwsmith. Wood shop was limited back in my day and meant to prepare you for tool use. Bird houses were the only kits furnished ,or in a good class you measured following the plans and cut all the project components. I'm here to show some flickers of what one guy does for shop time. My choice of paint is different Acrylic low VOC "fumes" There are other project ideas I may try while I'm here too. I'm in my 50's so yes there are many more things for a man my age to do,and puts me in the minority of model enthusiasts but we all have things we never gave up. I have a good balance in my life marriage, leisure time, was important more than partying. My wife and CFO like the cost pert unit of each model. I'm glad to see there is an interest. The guy who built his daughters hope chest has a niche with his attention to fine detail and finish as well. Limited edition "durables " are sought after. This trio is an aid to plot out a much larger display .Click image for larger version

Name:	Northrop_T_38_Talon.png
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	787404Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907_120034.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	787405Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907_120149.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	787406Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_091935.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	787407Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_092018.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	787408 Formation displays always catch the eye. The NASA graphic is a possible color idea....
      Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • Spokane Wa
        • Craftsman

To be sure my readership. I don't know anything about a lot of the forms I build, not a pilot ,and don't frequent airports unless it's to see the mother in law off. "just Kidding" I suggest knowing at least the factories designation. This model was inspired by Jimmy Buffets planeClick image for larger version

Name:	albatross.jpg
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	787411Click image for larger version

Name:	grumman-uf2.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	787412 I'll drop photos in later.It turned out rock solid and will look nice on it's stand. You'll notice the difference in engines form the drawing to the model. I updated to turbine which gives me more paint options.Click image for larger version

Name:	albatrossb.jpg
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	787413Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_123012.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	787414 The Hull lines are in place , time to study photos.

I live in the path of an airport SIA so I see all kinds of aircraft. This model was to show the possibilities of one model with two paint schemes.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_123100.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	787415Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_123130.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	787416 Once I've proven the templates many other models can be painted. The lettering is standard 45pct vinyl gotten at a Office Depot store.

We did travel a lot when I was a kid and have been in many travel agencies, they always had a model or two sitting around. Airliners are well represented in the model making world. This one was flying around during the 80's as a per motion to fox channel.

This airline project will be interesting and another with two paint schemes on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_092302.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	787417Click image for larger version

Name:	simpsons.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	787418Click image for larger version

Name:	simpsons c.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	787419The planning for one of these projects is simple nowadays with the access to reference materials. Southwest Airlines now owns this aircraft in a hanger in Texas.....
        Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2015
          • Spokane Wa
          • Craftsman

If I'm touting a hobby or way to spend free time then so be it. If I know no more than it's a float plane then carving this block will prove interesting. Again I'm reluctant mention carving even though the wood worker hobbyist only need three abrasive tips for the motor tool. A palm sander with a succession of heavy to light grits finish and contour. I'll show the progress on this one over time. The floats this is sitting in are temporary as the actual floats are welding wire brazed Now the wood worker becomes a sculpture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_091431.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	787421Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_091439.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	787422Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_091455.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	787423
          Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-29-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2015
            • Spokane Wa
            • Craftsman

I suppose that my hobby could have been collecting wood planes to plane wood , but model making is less expencive. Some times I come across concepts that never fly outside the computer drafting and making a model of the drawings is a great weekend project. Click image for larger version

Name:	weird.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	787424 ready to start building.... Hope this finds you all in good spiritsClick image for larger version

Name:	20151009_125629.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	787425Wow time flies when the worlds demands put upon you. But I manage to post these and as always WIP (works in progress) I'll have acouple of more familiar projects before years end........Click image for larger version

Name:	20151022_085429.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	787478Click image for larger version

Name:	20151024_104333.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	787479

This is a fictional aircraft that is based on plans from Blohm mfg Germany Circa 1944
            Last edited by ArtworksIII; 10-29-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Love your models... always very nice work, and you really strive for accuracy.

Last week I received my November issue of Wood magazine (issue 236) and there on page 44 was a featured article titled "Mil-Spec AC-130 Gunship"... you really ought to take a look at that. (It should be on the local magazine displays now.)

I'm not sure what the objective was, except perhaps to make a really big toy, or to provide a project plan for the readers; but otherwise I wasn't impressed with the model's accuracy. About the only similarities were that it had a fuselage and wings, and four engines. I think the title should have been different and they should have dropped the "mil-spec" and just labelled it "Gun Ship". Except for the accuracy, it was a nice piece of work though, and perhaps a decent project for anyone who might want to start making wood aircraft.

Your craftsmanship really ought to be featured in a couple of magazines, IMHO. It is totally worthy! Have you ever considered bringing this to any magazines attention?

CWS

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2015
                • Spokane Wa
                • Craftsman

Cwsmith. Thank you for the kind words. I actually just like to show and inspire wood workers with this new spin on an old craft. Although I have strayed away from the true premise of this forum , yet please believe me I do use my table saw faithfully. I may have to look into your suggestion. I think the repurposed wood is well worth the end result being the block model. I find a different problem with each model I make. Characterizing carving technique is confusing to say the least. As long as I'm interesting a few of you then it's alright with me.Click image for larger version

Name:	bell-agusta-ba609-2004.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	787426Click image for larger version

Name:	20151022_091418.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	787429

This is an idea that I'd never ride in but is actually a flying production aircraft. Not a lot of contouring in this model if ones eye pays attention to the reference photos.
                Last edited by ArtworksIII; 10-22-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Spokane Wa
                  • Craftsman

Freighter

Sometimes line drawings are found that just beg to be built.Knocking the edges off is all one needs to do to finish this project.Stay tuned.....Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol freighter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	787480

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Spokane Wa
                    • Craftsman

Hello Everyone.
                    I'm finally back in business after being devastated by our wind storm a year ago. Much of what you seen here is destroyed. I'll be posting my new work and maybe some older stuff soon.Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll forgo the photos of the mess as it bothered me quite a bit. I do feel for all of you who live in areas that are prone to these winds more frequently. So my first installment will be a water bomber based on a late 80's regional airliner. Aeroflite told me the fat belly is aero dynamic to aid in disperse retardant more evenly. As you may know all my works are made from old pallets. 1 pallet yields 5 1/35 scale models.Later today I will post a model
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ArtworksIII; 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Artworks, glad you came back. I enjoy reading your posts and that is exactly why we have this forum, for people like you. You are more than welcome to post.
                      I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortunes wit the storm. Hope you get back to normal and didn't lose too much. I guess the upside is there's more room for new ones!
                      I hoe the pictures posted here will serve as sort of an archive for you.

Loring,
                      Moderator.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-03-2016, 04:13 AM.
                  • cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Welcome back,

I often wondered what happened to you... but figured you were just caught up in your work. (I know how that can be as when you are creating something, it is often all too consuming.)

I really am sorry that your absence was because of a tragic weather storm and that you suffered a great loss to your art. (I do know exactly how you may feel about that, as I spent almost ten years illustrating compressors, with more than a hundred illustrations, only to find them soaked in mud with the Agnes hurricane flood in 1972... my client (Ingersoll-Rand, Painted Post) lost their entire archive of illustrations, photos, etc. as the Publications department was swept under 20 ft of water.)

In any case, I hope you didn't suffer the loss of anyone. As painful as the loss of your models may be, they can be redone.

Nice to see you back and will look forward to future posts,

CWS

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

And another "welcome back"! I missed seeing a couple of sets of picts early on. It seems like you have a BD 3 or BD 5 (Bede aircraft). I loved looking at pictures of the BD's. IIRC, they had a prototype with jet engines.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Spokane Wa
                        • Craftsman

Since this is an opportunity to offer models to such a company I needed to come up with a value. That was to use the belly bulge so prominent on this aircraft as a cradle for the stand to hold the model which means the model displays two different aircraft. I do have a lot of work to do too.... Luckily Aeroflite moved a base to Spokane Wa, so I can see plenty of these.
                        Last edited by ArtworksIII; 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Spokane Wa
                          • Craftsman

Originally posted by cwsmith
                          Welcome back,

I often wondered what happened to you... but figured you were just caught up in your work. (I know how that can be as when you are creating something, it is often all too consuming.)

I really am sorry that your absence was because of a tragic weather storm and that you suffered a great loss to your art. (I do know exactly how you may feel about that, as I spent almost ten years illustrating compressors, with more than a hundred illustrations, only to find them soaked in mud with the Agnes hurricane flood in 1972... my client (Ingersoll-Rand, Painted Post) lost their entire archive of illustrations, photos, etc. as the Publications department was swept under 20 ft of water.)

In any case, I hope you didn't suffer the loss of anyone. As painful as the loss of your models may be, they can be redone.

Nice to see you back and will look forward to future posts,

CWS
                          Yup I'm over the shock of the ordeal.

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by ArtworksIII
                            I'd have to say if you want to get odd looks from other guys tell them you make and carve model airplanes. I don't get the should have grown B/S any more as once a great wood worker views my work they are interested. These two aircraft hold a place in aviation history as they are designed By Burt Rutan. Since I cant find them in plastic I figured I'd build them from wood I get from my old place of work Hunt Wood Mfg. There are kits out in plastic but they are $50.00 as compared to $4.00 worth of materials. I also do brackets but model making is very fun then once your tired of the model you can sell them. Weather vanes and whirly gigs are a great diversion as well.
                            I've always wanted a LongEZ. With the state if my finances, I'll have to make a model…

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Spokane Wa
                              • Craftsman

Hello everyone !! I missed being here! But was down after a wind storm destroyed my equipment. I'm sort of back to speed. Alot of the early works couldn't be salvaged so I have new planes to show. it's been a hard lesson in insurance company drama and other trials but its good to be back now.

Comment

Working...