• Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Re-united!

Wasn't sure where to put this - so settled for "other tableaws."

My Craftsman contractor saw and I were re-united after 2+ years of separation.

She was stored in a wet detached garage ---- so had a lot of work to do to get her clean and ready.
    Fortunately, cast iron steel is pretty easy to clean:

Step 1: A little WD-40, fine grain sand paper,
    Step 2: Brake Cleaner (no chlorine)
    Step 3: some car wax ------

Ready to go!!!!

Trying to figure out how to make this work in my small 12x12 shop.

Last edited by durango dude; 01-06-2018, 10:27 PM.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Did you prep it for storage? I've been prepping all my tools for long term storage but I think I missed the boat on covering my cast iron tops with cosmoline. I'm going to have to rely on Boeshield. The storage place is supposed to be climate controlled so hopefully I won't have to do anything when they come back out.

I disassembled my TS last night and blew out the inside with a leaf blower. I thought I had vacuumed all the dust beforehand but more dust and chips kept spewing out of every crevice.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I thought I had vacuumed all the dust beforehand but more dust and chips kept spewing out of every crevice.
      You can never get ALL the dust out of a machine. In high school, Friday was always cleaning and maintenance day in the wood shop, and if my shop teacher, who was also the track coach, found sawdust in a machine, you ran laps after school. Everyone ran laps every Friday.
      Chr's

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I've been prepping all my tools for long term storage... I'm going to have to rely on Boeshield. The storage place is supposed to be climate controlled so hopefully I won't have to do anything when they come back out.
        I had my shop in two different storage units for about 1-1/2 years, both "climate controlled". I discovered that one was better climate controlled than the other. One had a "sealed-off" outside garage door, and the climate control seemed rather close to "uncontrolled". I got some rust at that facility.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

My saw is a 1950s vintage cast iron table saw. It was labled "sears contractor saw"

You might recall that I went through divorce. Never had a chance to prepare anything for storage - was given 5 hours to get everything I own out of the home........ It then went to storage.

My tools were stored at my sister's. The table saw really took a beating. The cast iron top was covered with rust. The saw dust mixed with some humidity, and formed a nice thick cake mix!

I can't complain, though ----- I scoured the surface and restored almost all of it without a single pit.

Comment

Working...