X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chadwilliam1
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2016

Saw stop base question

I am considering a 52 inch 3 hp sawstop pcs. I want it on a mobile base but from looking at the base options it only goes under the saw and not the wing. So I didn't know what it was like moving the table with out wheels under the wing?

Thanks and any insight on the saw would be great. As I am getting older I am starting to get scared that I will mess up and touch that blade.

Sent from my HTC 10

• capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I don't think any 52" cabinet saw can be used with simply a moble base under the saw. The wing sticks out too far. If you kept the 2 legs under the wings it would be ok but you would have to remove them to move the saw and there is a good chance you would bend the extensions. I was planning on upgrading my powermatic 64 that has a full wooden cabinet under it to a SS that I would build a simular full cabinet under. Plans changed though, I figured if I didn't do something about the dust I wouldn't be worrying about my fingers long, and spent that money on a cyclone.

i seldom need to cut anything that wide so I decided to stick with the 36" extension with t-glide fence and now have to wrestle with large table extension. If I need too cut anything wider than that I'll use my Mikita track saw. The 36" SS will move around ok on a mobile base without having to support the wings with legs. .....oh, and also get the SS moble base option https://www.amazon.com/SawStop-MB-PC...VEZBNHV9GQ0899, they seem well made and not just a set of casters on an erector set frame.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have a Shop Fox mobile base under my Grizzly TS. It can cut 54" to the right of the blade. The base also extends underneath the legs that support the extension table. It would be a big pain to move the saw if the legs weren't on the base, too. I'm also not sure if the leg levelers would reach to the floor if the saw was raised up. When I setup this shop, I wasn't sure if I'd be pushing the saw around regularly. I think after 11 years I've has the saw in just 2 locations.

Carl makes a good point about the actual need for such a large table. Firstly, I'm not very neat or organized so my extension table is just a big junk collector. Secondly, I can't remember the last time I needed that much width for a cut. My largest rip is about 22". I also have a track saw if I don't want to wrestle a sheet over to the saw. I do have my router table in the far end of me extension but I could have managed with a smaller table, too.

Anyway, if you are neat and tidy, have the space, and the price isn't a problem, go for it. However, after 11 years of ownership, I don't think it's a necessity.

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

I have the 3HP PCS with the 52" fence rail. I have it on the industrial base and it picks up the saw with the extension without any trouble.
        It picks it up in such a manner that the extension legs are lifted first. I picked the industrial base because all 4 casters swivel, allowing you to turn the saw "on a dime"
        A picture is shown here: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...53486-tv-easel
        Hope the link works. Since then I have installed the Grizzly slider and made some further changes.
        Cheers,

Tim

PS. I just realize that was almost 7 years ago. How time flies.
        Last edited by big tim; 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM.
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Chadwilliam1
          Handtools only
          • Dec 2016

Thanks for sharing. That is what I will get. What a beautiful shop.

Sent from my HTC 10

Last edited by Chadwilliam1; 01-31-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

What a nice clean shop.... I thought it was Rob Kerbys at first! Where is all your.clutter? There is no excuse in the world for a shop to be this clean unless you were holding your daughters wedding in it?
            capncarl

Comment

• big tim
              • Mar 2006
              • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Chadwilliam1
              Thanks for sharing. That is what I will get. What a beautiful shop.

Sent from my HTC 10

You're quite welcome and you'll love your SawStop,

Tim

Comment

• big tim
                • Mar 2006
                • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by capncarl
                What a nice clean shop.... I thought it was Rob Kerbys at first! Where is all your.clutter? There is no excuse in the world for a shop to be this clean unless you were holding your daughters wedding in it?
                capncarl
                I must have cleaned up just before taking that picture.

Tim

Comment

• Chadwilliam1
                  Handtools only
                  • Dec 2016

I have my new 52 inch 3 hp saw stop on order should be in Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my HTC 10

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Show us some Picts! Enjoy your saw!

Do you get a first set of replacement brakes with the saw, or did you order a replacement to have on hand? Just curious.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• big tim
                      • Mar 2006
                      • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Show us some Picts! Enjoy your saw!

Do you get a first set of replacement brakes with the saw, or did you order a replacement to have on hand? Just curious.
                      For what it's worth, I ordered an extra brake cartridge as well as a brake cartridge for a dado blade.
                      By the way if you cause a brake fire as a result of flesh sensing, SawStop will send you a new cartridge free of charge but you have to send tthem the fired cartridge so they can confirm that it fired as a result of sensing flesh.
                      Cheers,

Tim

Comment

• Chadwilliam1
                        Handtools only
                        • Dec 2016

Thanks for the info. I ordered the dado brake but plan to have spare brake on hand soon. I will share pics once I have it all set up.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10

Comment

• Chadwilliam1
                          Handtools only
                          • Dec 2016

Well the saw came in yesterday. I set it up today. So far I am very happy with it. Very nice saw. Fence is of because I waxed the table.

Sent from my HTC 10

Attached Files

Comment

• big tim
                            • Mar 2006
                            • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Chadwilliam1
                            Well the saw came in yesterday. I set it up today. So far I am very happy with it. Very nice saw. Fence is of because I waxed the table.

Sent from my HTC 10
                            Looks familiar! Congratulations.

Tim

Comment

Working...