• santa clara, CA
    • delta 36-675

Can anyone identify this tablesaw?

• cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Really I have no idea, but it looks pretty scary to me. (Perhaps an "Let's go to the Emergency Room Model 911" ?)

Where did you find this little beast?

CWS

Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I'm with CWS, looks scary. Early table saws (pre 1950 era) were made like that. It might be ok if you were going to build a cabinet around it. 1/3 hp isn't squat for power so it would be a Bog-o-matic. Early saws didn't have blade tilt so that would be another disadvantage.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Looks like an early AMT model, probably with an 8" blade.

You should be able to buy an older Craftsman in that price range and is likely a better option. Heck, I'll give you one if you will come get it. It's only 2000 miles or so away, unfortunately.

--------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Table saws from the 40's and 50's often were sold as just a top and a elevating blade mechanism, even from the sears catalog..
          You provided a base and a motor and a mount.
          Of course, safety was about zero or slightly negative!
          Often, only 7.5 or 8-inch blade, not the common 10 inch we see today.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dtam
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • santa clara, CA
            • delta 36-675

It's not mine, but I was thinking of getting it so I can use the top as an extension wing on my Delta contractor saw. It doesn't look like it's 27" deep though, so I'll probably pass.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

There were several brands made like that. Sears sold some, AMT was another, Atlas yet another. I have a couple of friends that love them for trim saws, as well as model making saws. 8" blade sounds right.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Pass is good. These old saws, just like the old "brick" cell phones were the forerunner to the saws of today. I wonder what table saws will look like in 50-60 years? The old saws tops were not as big as the the portable circular saw powered cheap saws so the top to this saw top wouldn't be much good as a donor for an extension to your Delta. For this application you would probably be better off purchasing the optional extension wing.

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Looks like the tag says Westinghouse. I have a 10" tilting table top TS w/ 6" jointer runs on a 220V motor made by Milwaukee/Rockwell, it has a blade guard, and I still got the original instruction sheets for it, it's about 60 to 70 yrs. old. Very solid (heavy), cuts straight but it needs to be reconditioned as I don't use it anymore. I got it from my late FIL who was a carpenter, I should sell it to someone who would want it for a project rebuild, just never got around to posting it on craigs list.

Comment

• Twin Oaks
                    Handtools only
                    • Feb 2017

A little late to post about this.
                    My neighbor made a table saw out of an old grinder motor & some wood block.

It was a death machine. It almost took off his head using it one day.
                    No thanks.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Kick the wood stand out from under it, clean up the metal parts and spray a clear coat on them and make a greats coffee table or end table out of it by adding legs and a glass top. You can make a table out of nearly anything. The industrial look is really in now.

Comment

• garymuto
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Encinitas, CA
                        • Delta Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by capncarl
                        Kick the wood stand out from under it, clean up the metal parts and spray a clear coat on them and make a greats coffee table or end table out of it by adding legs and a glass top. You can make a table out of nearly anything. The industrial look is really in now.
                        Cool Idea!

Comment

• Slik Geek
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Lake County, Illinois
                          • Ryobi BT-3000

The photograph's resolution isn't good enough to be certain, but the tag sure looks like the motor is designed for 40 Hz AC! I've never seen one of those. 40 Hz began to be phased out (pardon the pun) over 100 years ago. It could be that companies made motors to operate from that frequency for many years. The motor will like turn faster than designed when connected to the modern 60 Hz line frequency, and there may be other effects, such as operating temperature, vibration, magnetic saturation in the core. Bottom line: capncarl has the only viable idea for its use!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Slik Geek
                            The photograph's resolution isn't good enough to be certain, but the tag sure looks like the motor is designed for 40 Hz AC! I've never seen one of those. 40 Hz began to be phased out (pardon the pun) over 100 years ago. It could be that companies made motors to operate from that frequency for many years. The motor will like turn faster than designed when connected to the modern 60 Hz line frequency, and there may be other effects, such as operating temperature, vibration, magnetic saturation in the core. Bottom line: capncarl has the only viable idea for its use!
                            Yeah I know that one field on the plate looks like it says Hz 40
                            But that would be a rare line frequency and they didn't really start using "Hz" widely instead of cycles per sec until about 1965. This saw has to be older than 1965.
                            Finally the there's a row, where RPM says 1725 which would go with a induction motor on 60 Hz and the field to the right of 1725 says 60 which is probably the frequency even though we can't read the fine print. And next to the 60 its says 1 which is probably the phase. All three go together.

then 40 - what? I don't know.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-24-2017, 03:16 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Slik Geek
                              • Dec 2006
                              • Lake County, Illinois
                              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              ...the field to the right of 1725 says 60 which is probably the frequency even though we can't read the fine print. And next to the 60 its says 1 which is probably the phase. All three go together.
                              I think you got it. I missed that 60/1 combination. The box for the "60" appears to start with "Cy", so indeed this appears to be a 60 cycle (Hz) motor. The 40 could be "40 ºC". So it looks like the motor is:
                              1/3 HP, 1725 RPM, 60 Hz, 1 phase, 110V, 5.8A, 40 ºC, continuous duty.

Comment

Working...