• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Festool recall

Festool is recalling one of their saws due to a blade guard issue.
    Last edited by woodturner; 10-05-2013, 05:47 AM. Reason: clarity
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Not "their saws", rather: Festool TS 55 REQ Plunge Cut Circular Saw
    Sold between: May 2013 and July 2013

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
      Not "their saws", rather: Festool TS 55 REQ Plunge Cut Circular Saw
      Sold between: May 2013 and July 2013
      Thanks, edited the OP for clarification.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by woodturner
        Festool is recalling one of their saws due to a blade guard issue.
        https://www.festoolusa.com/service/recall/
        I was in the Denver Rockler Saturday and they had them back in stock, but not officially releasing them for delivery until 10/23. Today my local Woodcraft also had them.
        Lee

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Not to change the subject but I thought that all circular saws were "plunge". Just like all fences were sacrificial.
          capncarl

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The Festool circular saws plunge kind of like a plunge router. You preset the depth of cut, put the saw on the wood or edge of wood, start it and push it down. The whole body pushes down, exposing the saw blade under the saw. Once the cut is done the body comes back up retracting the saw blade.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

So.... all this tool is good for is to plunge cut? About like some of us who think that we have to have a different plane for each shape and application, only more expensive!

Comment

• downtheroad
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • So. California
                • Ryobi BT3000

I have the previous model and have been using it for several years now mainly to break down sheet goods to finished size. It is meant to be used on their guide rails and works great as a portable panel saw and has great dust collection when used with a vacuum.

I trimmed the bottoms of 2 very heavy interior doors, still hanging in place in a finished library in a very expensive home. With the guide rail clamped to the door, it was quick to make clean cuts on the finished doors and there was just minor cleanup after. Done the conventional way, I would have had to remove each door and carry them downstairs and outside 250 ft away to make the cuts.

Their tools can be expensive. But, for me, the ones I use for work, save me time and give me great results which equals more money.

There are many good videos on YouTube that show their tools/system. I got interested after seeing a finish carpenter using some at a jobsite and being impressed with the work he produced using them.
                Tony

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Got my Festool track saw last week. I cannot believe the quality of the cuts. The splinter guard on the rail, combined with the splinterguard on the saw, left beautiful, tear-out free cuts on the 3/4" ply I cut.

I was going to upgrade my BT3100 with a SawStop so I had the power to break down sheet goods. The track saw will take over that role. I'll now keep the BT3100, and in fact, I just installed a Forrest Woodworker II blade on it. Great blade! The BT3100 just has a slightly new use model for me.

My next purchase is a Festool Domino -- I'm hooked.
                  Lee

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I'm glad to hear Festools are working for you. They have advantages over my DeWalt track saw but I have no desire to switch.

With respect to the plunge mechanism, which the DeWalt also uses, it doesn't really affect the ability to use the saw like any other circular saw. For a typical cut it is, turn the saw on (soft start), plunge to the stop, make the cut, retract the blade, set it down flat. The arbor bearings seem to be much tighter so the edge of the guide rails do not get worn down from repeated use. Sawdust pickup is also better but it functions pretty much like my Milwaukee. I don't plan to use the DeWalt for cutting up framing lumber, however. It would do it but the Milwaukee works fine for that.

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

I agree with JimD on the use of a conventional circular saw for tasks like framing, rather than a more expensive/precision track saw. I've got an old 1970's-era Craftsman "Professional" circular saw in the garage that gets plenty of use for outdoor projects. No need for super clean or highly precise cuts on those projects. It is heavy and powerful and I wouldn't ever get rid of it.

My shop is in the basement, so my garage has another set of tools -- mostly my older drills, older sanders, and older hand tools that have been replaced with newer tools in the shop. And I've got a few Harbor Freight brand "loaner" tools like the angle grinder that seem to see more use from my neighbor, than from me!
                      Last edited by lrr; 11-29-2013, 10:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
                      Lee

Comment

Working...