• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • victorm385
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Sandy, Utah, USA.

wide table rails

I have a set of wide table rails that I would like to sell. I think they come with
    mounting screws. I'm not sure if that's what is in the bag that came with the rails
    but whatever it is will be included.
    If interested please contact me.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Are these the black rails for a BT3100 or the silver ones for a BT3000?
    Chr's

Comment

• victorm385
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2004
      • Sandy, Utah, USA.

Rails

They are black for the 3100

Comment

• victorm385
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2004
        • Sandy, Utah, USA.

wide rails

I am asking $50.00 plus shipping....

Includes: New BT3100 Black rails, 10 ea 1 1/8" 6 sided washers, 10 ea 7/8" 6 sided
        washers, 10 Thumb screws, 4 black handles with 1" square washers, one Dado throat plate and two blank throat plates

Comment

• Joedh
          Handtools only
          • Mar 2015

Wide rail kit

I could sure use some. I would to figure out how to attach and support them.

Comment

• SOONERKEN
            Handtools only
            • Sep 2016

can you cut a full sheet of plywood in half with these rails?

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by SOONERKEN
              The rails extend the track on which the rip fence runs. it extends them by about 42 extra inches.
              You will need the table top which will mount between the rails, and you will also need some legs.
              THere was a steel leg kit but it is also easily made from 2x2 or 2x4 pieces.

When you have those then you can rip or crosscut (the terms are a little ambiguous with sheet stuff) large sheets of plywood - An outfeed table is suggested or a helper or two because of the awkardness of handling large sheets; then tend to want to get away from you if not supported.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BT3000 with WTK.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	827694
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-29-2016, 08:52 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

If you want to cut it in the long direction (make an 8' cut) - you don't need wide rail kit. You will want to have an infeed table to support the sheet as you feed it into the saw. You will want to have outfeed table to support the sheet after the cut and you will want to extend the length of your rip fence by attaching a long board to it in front of the table. When you are starting the cut the sheet of plywood will have only about 1' length in contact with the original fence. With the full length of the sheet of 8' - small contact area might cost you accuracy.
                If you want to cut plywood in short direction - you will still have to cut 48". You will still want infeed and outfeed tables and a long rip fence.
                I have a wide table kit and it gives me crosscut capacity of 66", so I can cut full sheet but I don't like this method. I usually try to make the first cut on the sheet in the long direction without table saw. Either I do at the lumber yard or outside with my circular saw and straight edge. And I have made myself a crosscut sled which allows me to cut 24" wide sheets easily without rip fence. With the crosscut sled how long your plywood is makes no difference. So to be completely honest - I have wide table kit but it does not see that much use. It is nice to have a table saw on a mobile base having very large surface. I have router table mounted to the right of the saw and my saw is the largest surface in my shop. I use this surface for a lot of things unrelated to cutting plywood. But having rails extend full 7' is not necessary.
                Alex V

Comment

• d_meister
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • La Conner, WA.
                  • BT3000

Yes. Maximum rip fence setting can be more than 48", especially if you move the original rails further to the right. Plan and practice every move with the blade retracted before attempting the cut, though. If the blade binds, it won't kick a full sheet of 3/4 back, just stall the motor and likely pop a breaker. Rather awkward half way through the cut. As Vaking suggests for the long rip; have a helper, infeed support, and outfeed support for both the cut piece and the offcut.. Can't be too careful or well planned. A rip fence extension is essential to keep the workpiece moving smoothly, too.
                  Last edited by d_meister; 09-30-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or worse than pop a breaker, break the belts... You really don't want to do that. They're not cheap, you have to order and wait for them, they are difficult to put on, probably 3 on a scale of 10, 10 being easy.
                Working...