Cutting out / replacing crumbling grout.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cutting out / replacing crumbling grout.

The orginal grout in my dining room is going bad. Simply crumbling apart. I have had the foundation checked to verify and no problems there, so just bad grout. Time to break out my Harbor Freight variable speed multi tool, and get busy with grinding out the bad stuff, and regrouting...

See the progress in the video below. ANd I apologize for the background music. I edited this on my phone, the music audio level was a LOT lower on my phone... I need to bump it down to about half the level it is at...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

How did you re-color the grout? How did it come?

In in our bathroom, (five foot shower) we had dark grout ...I loved the tiles, but got tired of the dark grout,.
    so we took all the tiles down and got a big roasting pot and boiled every tile to gets the glue off. I got
    about five tiles at a time in the pot.

After the boiling water softened the glue, we then scraped off the glue...Then re-applied the tiles and
    grouted them with white-ish grout. Talk about pain and suffering.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Are you aware that there is a grouting removing blade that has the cutting tool on the edge more than on the bottom of the blade. That is the very first blade I used when I got a Fein Multitool about 17 years ago. I got it because my mom did not want me making a bunch of dust and at that time there were no other multi-tools because Fein would not release the patent.

Anyway, the grout tool cuts a thicker kerf than what you had and it does it well, or rather it did it well, fast and low dust.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Two Much
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Long Island, NY
        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Lee, the original tile job we did in 1985...Just before we replaced the shower tiles we did the floor
        over using the tiles we had in the garage for 30 years (left over from our kitchen floor)

So, we replaced the floor, which I liked because it was the same tiles as the foyer, kitchen and small
        alcove in front of the bathroom....Same tile throughout. Also, we used the cement backer board
        (which was not available in 1985)
        Then for the walls, we pulled everything down and applied the cement backer board on the shower
        walls as well. I also requested a marble shelf along the five foot span to hold shampoo and soap
        and everything else.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Two Much
          How did you re-color the grout? How did it come?

In in our bathroom, (five foot shower) we had dark grout ...I loved the tiles, but got tired of the dark grout,.
          so we took all the tiles down and got a big roasting pot and boiled every tile to gets the glue off. I got
          about five tiles at a time in the pot.

After the boiling water softened the glue, we then scraped off the glue...Then re-applied the tiles and
          grouted them with white-ish grout. Talk about pain and suffering.
          We used bright white grout for the replacement, and in the areas we kept the original grout we used a matching bright white grout colorant and sealer from Home Depot.I believe it is called Miracle Sealants Grout Pen.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

You changed the darker grout to white grout on the entire floor? We have white grout on our kitchen, foyer, and bathroom floor.
            About every three months, I use tilex and comet to keep it clean. apply it with a mop then use a scrub brush on a stick...
            It gets all foamy, then I let it sit awhile before rinsing. It works great and lasts some time before I have to re-do it.
            i tried grout sealer, but it still gets dirty after awhile.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Yep. Orders from SWMBO

Comment

Working...