• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Dustbuster?

I've got a B&D Dustbuster that is convenient for quick pickups but the batteries are shot. It's good for about 10 seconds and kaput. This one doesn't have the replaceable stick batteries like older ones and it's probably time to go LiIon or NiMH instead of NiCad.

Any recommendations for a replacement?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

LiIon / Lithium is the way to go by a long shot. NiMH was somewhat better than NiCads but didn't last much, if any longer. Lithium in my usage: 1. drives the same tools with more power, 2. the tools run longer per charge, and 3. the lithiums hold charges much longer between usages without deterioration, 4. lithiums batteries have longer life spans than NiCads or NiMH.

Caveat: LOML has had a Hoover Linx for 5 years and it still uses the same lithium battery and still is able to vac for about 20 - 25 minutes per charge. The caveat - reading reviews, some complain about the battery. BUT, it seems that the complaints about the battery are from people who leave the battery in the charger between usages. Ryobi builds their chargers to cut off or maintain a charge if left in. Apparently, Hoover intended for the battery to be removed after charged. This is something you may want to read before buying. BTW, LOML bought a second Hoover - a handheld like a dust buster size. Both have power heads on them and she has not complained once about the power or lack of, or run time on either vac.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I don't know if it's still available, but Ryobi made an 18v "dustbuster"-type vac. I had one for several years and liked it.
      Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not that easy to change from NiCad to LiIon. The new battery has to be close to the motor voltage and you need an appropriate charger for the chemistry type. Mostly that means making the battery removeable to be charged externally as opposed to charge in place which requires a connector and an appropriate chrging source and charge controller located either in the charger or in the appliance..
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I personally wouldn't attempt doing a battery technology conversion. At the very least you'd have to replace the charger (which for nicads is often just a wall wart trickle charger). How many years did you get out of your current batteries? Just solder a new set of Ni-Cads in and you should get that again.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Just put some NiCads back in it. No worries then.
        • atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Sorry, I wasn't asking about swapping in lithium batteries into the current vacuum, but about what vacuum should I get to replace this one?

There was actually another DustBuster on Amazon that is LiIon with some really good reviews. Should be here tonight.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oh, when you said replacement it was after you talked about different types of batteries. The direct antecedent being batteries I thought you wanted advice on replacing the batteries.
            Sorry to have misunderstood.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Oh, when you said replacement it was after you talked about different types of batteries. The direct antecedent being batteries I thought you wanted advice on replacing the batteries.
              Sorry to have misunderstood.
              Mea culpa. I reread my post and I can completely understand how it could be interpreted that way.

I received the new Dustbuster from Amazon last night. It already had some charge in it and it is definitely a step up from my last one if not a little more high pitched sounding. The charger is supposed to shut itself off when the batteries are fully charged. It's also easier for my kids to lift off the charging stand than the old one so there should be less griping when I ask them to fetch the vacuum for me.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Yeah sorry about that... I've replaced batteries in "non-replaceable" products many times in the past so that's what I thought you meant.

Glad the new vac is working out.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Glad to hear you found one you like Paul. I have many of the C-3 tools from Craftsman, which are all Ryobi-made, including their dust vac. I like it because it uses the same interchangeable battery as the rest of the line, and I upgraded those to LiIon. But not as kid-friendly for "fetch me yon dust vac, squire", since they would have to locate and insert the battery.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tjoosk
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2019

Caveat: LOML has had a Hoover Linx for 5 years and it still uses the same lithium battery and still is able to vac for about 20 - 25 minutes per charge. The caveat - reading reviews, some complain about the battery. BUT, it seems that the complaints about the battery are from people who leave the battery in the charger between usages. Ryobi builds their chargers to cut off or maintain a charge if left in. Apparently, Hoover intended for the battery to be removed after charged. This is something you may want to read before buying. BTW, LOML bought a second Hoover - a handheld like a dust buster size. Both have power heads on them and she has not complained once about the power or lack of, or run time on either vac.

Comment

Working...