• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Sliding window screen repair

Wife was complaining she couldn't air out the basement because there was no bug screen. Then she reminded me that years ago that an exterminator removed the screen to free a bird that got trapped in our furnace. Then she says he had to cut the screen out, he didn't pop out the frame. I don't know why it's take 2+ years for me to realize this.

Anyway, the screen doesn't seem to be part of a separate frame that pops out. It looks like it was integral to the window unit. The window slides open left to right as you see it. I think it's aluminum.

Any ideas on how to get a new screen in there?

Thanks
    PaulClick image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-02 19.34.59.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	827377

• Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

It should actually lift up and pull out. The whole screen frame. It may not do that, but it would be a first. Never seen one that cannot be removed. They usually have springs or spring steel on top that keeps them pushed down.
    Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'll look again. So it must pull out towards the outside, right?

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I think that the screw that is in the lower bottom center frame keeps the screen frame in. Remove it, there may be a mate to it in the top. The screen frame should slide into the void in the center frame and then come out.
        The screen frame might be corroded in and difficult to remove. This small of a frame may be fairly easy to install new screen fabric in place.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm going to make reciting Occam's Razor part of my morning routine. So I got the screen spline out from the outside and I'm on my hands and knees trying to remove those rusted screws (square drive), when I'm like "let me go inside and look again". There are two little spring tabs on the top of the window which I didn't pay any mind before because why would anyone make it so easy? Anyway, I gently pull down and back on the tabs and the whole slider comes on. After laughing at myself for a little bit, I installed the new screen--really wished I hadn't misplaced that spline tool--and the window is back in business.

I'm sure you guys would have figured it out had I started with the inside pic first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-03 09.56.58.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	827390

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

So... the screws did not hold the screen in? Most I've worked on used this method.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

There's one on the bottom (visible) and one on the top hidden by the overhang. I could only remove the top one and I had just sprayed the bottom one with WD40. The screws may have held in the frame but it was definitely easier to remove the whole window with those 2 spring clips.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Okay. Cool that you figured it out. We don't have too many basements down here, so it was unusual to me to see the screen held with screws. Unless it had been modified or is something new. They have all sorts of hurricane resistant stuff now that is new to everyone.
                Regardless you should be able to easily do maintenance on hung windows when needed. No operator maintenance possible on high rises.
                Lee

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Whenever I clean or repair my screens, b4 replacing it back into the window frame I do this: clean or replace the screen frame if it's corroded. Clean the slots/tracks of the window frame. Last I apply a coat of Johnson paste wax to the screen frame and the slots/tracks it goes into. This makes removing easier the next time you clean/repair the screen. I wax the track for the window slider too, makes it slide like it's brand new. It rains 100 + inches a year in Hilo, Hawaii so it takes a toll on our alum windows/screens.

Comment

Working...