• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Finish Plumbing technique?

How, oh how does one make bathroom plumbing fixtures be tight in alignment?

I have a shower head that has a side hand held shower. If tight, it is cocked about 15° off center from clockwise. And the bottom tub faucet does the same. At perfect alignment (vertical), it is mildly tight, but grabbing the faucet head to make the shower come on rotates it a tad. When Putting the hand held shower head back in its bracket - that causes it to rotate about 3 to 4 degrees with ease. There is NO way to tighten either another 340 degrees or so. 15 to 20 degrees at the most is possible on both.

The backing pipes for both fixtures are solid and not leaking, SO, what technique is used to make shower heads and faucet align vertical and still be tight? I have added 3 or 4 extra turns of teflon tape, but it seems to just push it back as it screws on. I don't want to "glue" it and I don't want that.

This has been a question I have had for years but never seem to think of it when around a PROFESSIONAL plumber.
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-19-2016, 08:32 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That is a good question but I don't know the answer.

My parents had their house built 2 years ago. On our first visit, my Dad mentioned they had to have the electrician come back in to fix a switch and he pointed it out. The switch was ganged with 2 other switches so 6 face plate screws. I didn't think anything of it until I looked at another nearby bank of switches and noticed that faceplate had its screw slots all lined up vertically. I looked at the outlets and same thing--the screw slot lined up vertically. Then I went through the whole house and the same thing. My Dad confirmed that the builder had installed all the faceplates and a different guy had come to fix that switch.

Next time I'm there, I'll have to observe the plumbing fixtures.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

A way of fixing a device position on pipe thread is to borrow a locking meathod from electrical pipe threading devices. Conduit uses locknuts to tighten devices to the piping (note that conduit threads are the same dimension as pipe threads, just not tapered so conduit locknuts will fit on pipe threads). You might be able to work in a locknut or two and maybe they will be hidden behind the flange.

Comment

• trungdok
        Established Member
        • Oct 2012
        • MA

You could add thread lock to help hold it. Or, add a few more round of thread seal tape to widen the thread a bit so the shower head gets tight prior to the desired position, then give it a bit of force to bring it to the final position.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by trungdok
          You could add thread lock to help hold it.
          Duh, I don't know why I haven't thought of thread lock. I guess my mind reserved that for pure mechanical instead of plumbing!

Capn, the locknut is a good idea but finding one that matches the plumbing threads - well I could give it a try at my local hardware store where everything is not already packaged. I am going to try the Locktite/Permatex route first.

Thanks for the ideas.

Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

If the thread lock fails you, stainless steel conduit locknuts are available on line. Shower arms are 1/2" npt. Ordering 1 locknut + shipping will probably cost about what the tube of thread lock + gas to go get it costs.

Comment

• jabe
              • Apr 2006
              • Hilo, Hawaii
              • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

You can use plumbing teflon paste with the teflon tape that might help.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jabe
                You can use plumbing teflon paste with the teflon tape that might help.
                I bought some Lock Tite blue thread lock, put it in the bathroom to fix the fixtures when I had some time. But, a week later when I had time, the tube was gone. Looked and looked, asked LOML and she didn't know what I was talking about.

About two months after that, and having continued to look for the thread lock, I went to the local hardware store and bought some more. Brought it home, opened the package and went to get a non-maring grip handle for the fixtures and there it was, the previously purchased tube.

ANYWAY, it works great now. That has been about 4 to 5 weeks and the fixtures haven't budged.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Good tip! I'm not sure where I would find it but I have fun using "Monkey Spit". Functionally the same as lock tite but sillier name. A big bottle was pretty cheap and works fine. Never thought about using it in the bathroom.

Comment

Working...