Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Originally posted by JimD

I think the only really high bed I've slept in was our wedding night. The B&B I booked on the way to the cruise had a bed with steps. I didn't need them but it was high. That wasn't the only thing we didn't care for we also woke up with bad headaches, I think they had an issue with the furnace. But it was a nice place and the breakfast was great.

you do'nt think the headaches had anything to do with the champagne???

Lack of sleep. That's what caused the headache.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The height of beds nowadays is a joke in our family - and we have done our best to keep our bed down and low: we have a platform bed with a continuous base (ie, all wide mdf planks touching each other, no gap), and even with a fairly new and high (10") mattress, the total height is the same as a chair's. The kid's beds are twin-sized on slats, so pretty low too. The guest room is the only one higher, and I have all plans to lower the 'foundation' for it to bring the overall height down. (The foundation is nothing but a hollow box around 12" high, I am hoping to cut that height down to 4" - should not take me more that 20 minutes).

As for mattresses, I am particularly unlucky - a lower back pain forced me last year to go mattress shopping, and after buying, exchanging and replacing 4, I admitted defeat and accepted the 5th. I found that I just need a very firm support just under my lower back, so now I have taken to using a 12x12" ply (slightly padded/upholstered like a chair seat) as extra support, and it's somewhat acceptable.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• gsmittle
        gsmittle commented
        Editing a comment
        Radhak, have you looked at a Sleep Number? They are expensive, but the adjustable firmness has pretty much eliminated my back issues at bedtime. I used to wake up with a lot of pain, but not since getting the SN dialed in.

g.
    Working...