• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by capncarl
    Now that the problem of surge on the incoming electric utility line has been solved, how do you solve the problem of lightning surge coming in on your cable tv line and telephone line?
    On of my neighbors had a recent lightning strike on their brick chimney... The chimney was not the highest point of their house.
    capncarl
    While lightning often strikes the highest point, it doesn't always! I've seen photos of metallic towers being hit in the middle, not at the top.

As the others have commented, it is very difficult to protect against a direct lightning hit. A "typical" bolt of lightning discharges a current 300 times greater than is typically used to weld steel using an arc welder. The good news is, the odds of a direct hit are much lower than a strike in the vicinity. Even if the protection you place on those lines isn't sufficient for a direct or nearly direct hit, it still can help in the majority of other nearby strikes that induce enough current to be harmful.

When I'm home in a thunderstorm, I disconnect my internet and TV feed wires as cheap insurance against damage through those cables.

Comment

Working...