• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I guess if you get right down to it, a "utility knife" is more or less the "Stanley" design, though I'm not really sure if Stanley was the originator. It is more heavy duty with a blade that can adjust to specific depths, including one is just a bit over an 1/8th inch, which is perfect for slicing through corrugated cardboard boxes. All three of my 'utility' knives have detentes in which the blade can be locked. I have a Stanley 99E, Great Neck K-15, and a General 855. All are similar design, but the General has a slightly fatter handle which is more comfortable. We also have a few of the free-coupon Harbor Freight models, but I have yet to take any of them out of the package. They all use a trapezoid-shaped blade that is heavier gauge steel.

To me, a box cutter is the simpler knife, like those little plastic handles with the snap-off blades, or the heavier flat, folded metal design that holds a rectangular utility blade. The utility blades remind me of the old double-edge Gillette shaving blade, except that it has only one cutting edge with a folded metal back, to give it's thin steel some rigidity.

However, like you said... they're pretty much synonymous, and so when the question was posted, most of us thought of the "Stanley". But "X-acto", to me, is something entirely different. I've used those for model making, but mostly in the graphic arts, publishing prep, etc. A much smaller, lighter duty blade which comes in a variety of designs to fit various tasks. Mostly when you see them in use, the person is using those long pointed blades (I think they're a number '11' blade, but I never liked them), my preference being a number '16' blade.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Re - the "box cutter" vs. "utility knife" - I've experienced hearing people in different parts of the country using different terminology (it may be a "regional-thing"). I grew up and lived over half my life in PA - I always understood "box cutter" to mean the cheap little stamped tool that I used working in a grocery store in high school (http://www.sawdustzone.org/attachmen...5&d=1453564027

and "utility knife" to mean a Stanley or similar utility knife. After moving to the South, I've experienced a few people ask for a "box cutter" and want something similar to the Stanley.

It does seem that "utility knives" tend to be used for most box cutting duties these days. I rarely see the old-style "box cutters" that I used 25 years ago.
      Bill

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I consider box cutter to be slang for utility knife - one and the same. Essentially synonymous. What do you consider to be the difference?
        Do you consider Channellocks or Knipex to be all of the groove style pliers? It may be slang, but as an engineer, I would be surprised at your use, since you deal with specs (and getting things wrong has consequences).
        A box cutter is designed for that one purpose, and only the one blade will fit. A utility knife may be used as a box cutter, but you could use it to cut twine, or cut up carpet, etc. and it has other blades that tend to fit it. An Xacto knife, tend to be a hobbiest, or architects tool, used to cut out things like templates, that has a stem, with a collar that multiple styles of blades can go into.

It may be slang regionally, but slang does also lead to trademark dilution (and the lawsuits), like the Kleenex, Velcro, Aspirin, etc.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

X-acto was not my usage, I just quoted some definitions. AFAIK neither box cutter nor utility knife is trademarked nor could be.

I consider the cheap disposable plastic with break off blade sections also box cutters, like these:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	box_cutter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	787567

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-26-2016, 06:36 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Yep, I agree.

Here in NY State, those plastic snap-off blades and the the folded sheet metal knives that used the rectangular utility blades are commonly referred to as "box cutters" and that is the label I learned many years ago. The Stanley-like knife was called a "utility knife" and when my Dad asked for one or the other, I had better know which one he wanted. But today, like many other things, the term can cover a wider variety.

Below is a new picture showing some of the various "box" and "utility" knives. I've not included the ones previously posted. Also note a variety of X-acto knives and the various handles/sizes and blades. There are also a couple of X-acto saw blades, mostly used for hobby work.

Included is an X-acto "swivel knife" which was commonly used in the graphics business. The blade is very small and is held in a specialized handle that allows the very small blade to swivel 360° during cutting. It is used to cut a film mask placed over a mounted photograph to silhouette whatever parts of the photo you want of print in a manual. I'm sure it had other uses, but that's primarily what I used it for in producing service manuals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	787568

I haven't used the boxed set in years, and it's gotten a little rusty!

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...