• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Box Cutter that works?

I seem to have the darnedest luck with box cutters, and don't see to be able to get my hand on a well working one. Years ago I bought a 5-pack of nice looking Simple Husky (IIRC) ones, the keep losing their blade. A conveniently shaped one from some office brand keeps falling apart (poorly though-out blade change feature). A nice metal one with "auto blade reload" is heavy and doesn't retract the blade well.

Sometimes I think the best ones are the cheap yellow ones that keep losing their black ends, at least they work well.

Do you have a box cutter that works well?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

This standard Stanley box cutter is no frills, has blade storage in the handle, it's $6.50 at Amazon. I have one, it's fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3194XDYZ2HL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	787561
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have a Rockler brand box cutter from almost 15 years ago. A little more girth than the Stanley. Has a lever on the side that pops it open to reveal blade storage (don't need a screwdriver to open) and has two blade settings--one about 1/8" out and full. The lever also makes it easy to flip the blade over to use the other sharp edge. I like it a lot. However, I don't see that it's sold anymore. Sorry.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I like this one a lot.

I just clip it to my pants pocket and it doesn't get in the way.
        Heavy duty as well.
        I always buy those type blue blades too and change them often. We go through them. I haven't even used the wire cutter stripper thing on it yet.
        Lee

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

I have a Milwaukee-48-22-1901-Fastback-Utility-Knife as my "go to." It fits nice in my hand, I like the handle shape with the "trigger finger" space, and the "gut hook" is nice for cutting twine and string.
          Brian

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

While utility knives are handy for it, so are pocket knives (what I normally have on me). Both are general purpose tools. I do have one box cutter that is a little loose, but it was found in a car trunk at a junk yard, and I keep it in a tool box for opening auto parts.
            At work, we keep using one that look like these: Cosco Jiffi-Cutter Compact Utility Knife with Retractable Blade

When left around, people set stuff on them, or let them get set in liquids and they don't open easily. I have a few of my own and if you don't do those, they work just fine. But when I am talking about a box cutter, I mean just what the name says.Click image for larger version

Name:	boxcutter.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	787562
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I've got a couple of those Stanley-type box cutters and actually prefer them for any heavy-duty cutting or projects. Harbor Freight carries a similar product and yesterday I received a 'free' coupon for one of those (with a purchase of $4.99)

I have a few of the Husky cutters that were on sale a few years ago during the usual Christmas offerings. While they are well made and you can change the blade quickly, they don't seem to be designed all that well, at least for my hands. You place your hand in the wrong place the blade has a tendency to slide out. However, I do have a few of those and keep one in each of my project tool bags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3995.jpg
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	787563

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Yep, those Husky cutters CWS showed were the ones that keep losing their blades. Really annoying, even more when the blade falls somewhere where it isn'y easily reached, or when you don't notice right away and don't want risk finding it "accidentally" or having a pet find it...

Thanks everybody for the suggestions what works. That way I can avoid getting more duds. I'll probably get a few and retire my existing ones with prejudice!

Thanks again

Gerd

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

I carry a Geber EAB, handy little knife that fits in the pocket, uses regular utility blades but not real comfortable for extended use, but is durable and has a nice heft to it.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    While utility knives are handy for it, so are pocket knives (what I normally have on me). Both are general purpose tools. I do have one box cutter that is a little loose, but it was found in a car trunk at a junk yard, and I keep it in a tool box for opening auto parts.
                    At work, we keep using one that look like these: Cosco Jiffi-Cutter Compact Utility Knife with Retractable Blade

When left around, people set stuff on them, or let them get set in liquids and they don't open easily. I have a few of my own and if you don't do those, they work just fine. But when I am talking about a box cutter, I mean just what the name says.[ATTACH=CONFIG]22535[/ATTACH]
                    Those bring back some memories. Back when I worked retail stocking shelves, we were given those. Still have a bunch. Simple and effective. One morning after working back to back shifts and finishing the second shift (two different jobs) I went through the side of my hand with one of those while opening a case of dog food. Still have the scar 20+ years later.
                    Joe

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

I have a couple of the basic Stanley utility knives, and they are great. I've had a couple of the new-fangled, fancy, super-easy blade-change models - and hated them (blades tend to fall out).

For folders, I have a Milwaukee fast-back, and I really like it. I also have Bessey and Irwin folders and like them.
                      Bill

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Joe
                        That flat box cutter does bring back memories! The sales rep for soap (Tide, Clorox) use to drop by the store and pass out those little flat box cutters to all the stock clerks. Funny thing was that all of the boxes had do not use a cutter to open the case printed all over the box! I guess these box cutters damaged enough merchandise to increase his sales and get them a bonus!

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I have three of the folding Huskys and have not had a problem with them dropping blades. I guess I hold them differently or something. I have a couple others that I have had longer. The oldest has plastic buttons you push to open up the handle to get another blade. I'm guessing it's a Stanley. Now if I could find the box of 100 blades I bought...

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I personally can't stand "Box Cutter" type tools. Instead I use a regular Stanley or stanley clone utility knife.
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                              I personally can't stand "Box Cutter" type tools. Instead I use a regular Stanley or stanley clone utility knife.
                              I consider box cutter to be slang for utility knife - one and the same. Essentially synonymous. What do you consider to be the difference?

Wikipedia: The fixed or folding blade utility knife is popular for both indoor and outdoor use. One of the most popular types of workplace utility knife is the retractable or folding utility knife (also known as a
                              Stanley knife, box cutter, X-Acto knife, or by various other names).

Dictionary.com : box cutter noun 1. a small cutting tool consisting of a retractable razor blade in a metal or plastic holder, designed for opening cardboard cartons.

Dictionary.com: Utility knife
                              noun a knife with a small, sharp retractable blade. See box cutter

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-25-2016, 02:45 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...