• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I've not experienced this problem with inflating tires in the past, and I've been inflating tires for 45 years. As a matter of fact I think one of my air chucks is one of my first ones! It makes me think it has something to do with the valve stems. Maybe they are smaller or threaded in deeper? Made in China?
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
      An interesting post. I have personally never had a problem getting air to go into tires. And trust me, I have worked on a LOT of tires over the years! This is new to me.... FWIW, I have only ever used Milton chucks. I have had one fail as in it literally fell apart, but it was at least 30 years of all day long daily service station use, never had one not fill a tire though...
      I had a similar problem with my wife's Prius a couple of years ago, one tire in particular. I changed valve cores as the one in there seemed to be a little too far inward. And I switched chucks when I did it. It worked.

The more I think about this, the more I think it was just the cheaper chucks that I had. I disassembled them and the washers looked a little like sink washers do after they have been used for years. I could see the "seating" indentations on both sets of chucks rings. A quality control laps of .007 to .01 could let things work for a little or long while and then cause problems down the road. While most replies here state no problems with even HF type of chucks, one of the first things I noticed about the air compressor paraphernalia (hoses, chucks, fittings, gauges etc) they certainly were not up to the heavy duty stuff we used on the farm or at uncle's service stations. The HF and light duty auto parts store fittings work fine for the most part for most people.

Anyway, I grew up around air compressors both on the farm with 4 farm tractors, combine, cotton picker, numerous trailers, and also helped out a couple of uncles that owned service stations. Dad had a couple of 18 wheelers for hauling grain and cotton, so we tended to tires on a regular basis. As you said, those chucks lasted a long time. That is why I decided to order a commercial quality chuck, especially since they were not that expensive.

While I was at it, I ordered a air hose reel from Northern Tool. Tired of those coiled plastic hoses!
      Last edited by leehljp; 01-20-2016, 08:03 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22529[/ATTACH]
        I have that HF chuck and in some ways its great - the dual head allows me to get to my car tires more easily even if they are upside down. The rubber outer casing for the gauge protects it from the driveway as you sling the hose around.
        My main complaint is that the gauge has 220 PSI full scale which gives me very low resolution when filling car tires at 30 to 33 PSI range or ( but adequate for bicycle tires at 72 to 80 PSI.) Sure wish it had 110 PSI range instead of 220 PSI!
        I have the same HF chuck w/gauge as Loring, and have the same opinion of the gauge scale. I got this a few years ago, and it's about perfect -
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage.
        Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by os1kne
          I have the same HF chuck w/gauge as Loring, and have the same opinion of the gauge scale. I got this a few years ago, and it's about perfect -
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage.

But $31 bucks???!!!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

But $31 bucks???!!!
            Agreed, a bit hard to swallow - and it did take a while for my frustration with the HF item to build to the point that I bought the alternative. I just wanted to give a recommendation of an inflator that I've been very happy with.

The gauge of my HF inflator didn't give consistently accurate readings, even with the scale issue - so I couldn't trust it and was always double checking with a tire gauge. I'm sometimes willing to spend more (within limits) for a tool that does exactly what I want. (I remember looking into replacing the gauge, but it must not have been cost-effective.)
            Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JimD
              I find some sort of gauge on the hose to be a big help, even when it's crude and not terribly accurate. I use my better gauge after getting to the desired pressure or a little more. My 12V compressor doesn't give me a very accurate pressure but it reads consistently close to 5 psi low so I know how to compensate.
              Does it read low when the compressor is off or only when its running and air is flowing.
              About 5 PSI is the probable loss of air flowing in the hose. On mine I have to stop the airflow to check the pressure at the tire.
              This is because the hose and possibly a orifice is the limiting factor causing a difference int he air at the compressor and the air at the tire. Much like the voltage drop in a cheap extension cord.
              Its probably a good thing or if you attach a 50 gallon tank compressor at 125 PSI to a bicycle tire, it will explode before you know it!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TimTucker
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2014

But $31 bucks???!!!
                Just be thankful that you're not looking for a good quality inflater for presta valves:

(And that would by why I currently use a high quality floor pump for my bikes)

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Loring,

Yes, it's off nearly 5 psi but it reads a bit low. I know that so I just compensate and let it go if anything slightly over. Easier to let air out than screw the hose onto the valve stem again.

Jim

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I looked at the tires that give me a hard time inflating with my regular chucks. They are all made n China, have inner tubes which no doubt are also made in China, and the valve core is recessed in the valve stem 1/8 - 3/16" vrs. almost flush with the Michelin tires on my truck. I suspect the problem for most is the valve stems that have deeper valve cores and the air chuck do-hickey that releases the valve just doesn't reach it.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                      I looked at the tires that give me a hard time inflating with my regular chucks. They are all made n China, have inner tubes which no doubt are also made in China, and the valve core is recessed in the valve stem 1/8 - 3/16" vrs. almost flush with the Michelin tires on my truck. I suspect the problem for most is the valve stems that have deeper valve cores and the air chuck do-hickey that releases the valve just doesn't reach it.
                      Capn', I thought the something. Most of mine are recessed a tad more than flush, but I have Michelin 90,000 mile tires. LOML has the same tires (different size of course) on her car. One of her tires was difficult like that about a year ago. AS TO the recess, LOML and I both had ours installed at Sam's Club. Could be an improperly trained service fellow. . . . This makes me think - do they, or aren't they suppose to change valve stems when they install a new tire? If they don't, then it could have been anyone going way back.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Every tire I've bought in years has had new valve stems. I don't know if it's a requirement, it may be, it may also be another cash stream for the tire retailer, like $2 drinks at fast food restaurants. I suppose valve stems are considered the weak link in a tire although I have never lost a tire due to a valve stem failure!

Comment

Working...