• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

1 year old Grandaughter''s Christmas Toybox/Desk

Last toybox I expect to make (4 grandkids 4 toyboxes complete) .... this one from dimensioned poplar I bought at the BORG ...

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Very nicely done, she's a lucky girl.
    Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Very nice!

Is that your design? I like it. When swinging the back rest over to make it a desk, is that fairly light, enough for a younger child to do without much effort?

I like the design in that it looks easy for a child to convert and I don't see any chance of hands being pinched. The accents (butterflies and name) are very nice.

Great job, thanks for posting,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by cwsmith
        Very nice!

Is that your design? I like it. When swinging the back rest over to make it a desk, is that fairly light, enough for a younger child to do without much effort?

I like the design in that it looks easy for a child to convert and I don't see any chance of hands being pinched. The accents (butterflies and name) are very nice.

CWS
        Thank you ... I had a picture of a commercially available toy box that was "similar" in that it too converted to a desk ... I didn't like the apparent instability in the way the picture desk legs were presented so I reverted to a design I had previously used (the "J" shape vs just straight legs). I liked the idea of removable bins rather than a lid to make it easier on both the granddaughter and her mom for play and pickup ... I got the name letters from a flea market to personalize it a bit and the butterflies match the already existing theme of her bedroom. The butterflies are wall decals. I bought 1x8 and 1x6 dimensioned poplar so there was a significant amount of joinery involved. I used dowels and yellow glue for all of the joinery. After painting I sealed with several coats of clear enamel topcoat to "hopefully" give it some protection. Oh, and yes, the desk is very easy to raise and lower.
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Thanks.

You did a great job, and certainly the final is beautiful. I'm sure your grand daughter will cherish it forever. Make sure you get some pictures of her seeing it for the first time... that will be exciting I'm sure, and something you can hold on to as she grows up.

(I was blessed with a very long memory, of at least some important things. I can still remember Kindergarten class and first days of school and the desk my Uncle gave me when I was just five or six. It was a maple flip top with a resting place on the back for pencils. That probably got left behind when we moved to the countryside in 1954 when I was ten. Some things just are there and worth remembering.)

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Love it. I know this will be used and remembered for a long time!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...