• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Walnut master bath vanity

I've lost count on how long I've been working on this bathroom. I think it's been nearly a year since I started by ripping out the tub. I can't say my wife and I really had a plan (well, maybe she did), but here I am. My wife is getting a shorter desktop to the left of this vanity, so I was going for something that was mid-century modern and masculine. I like how it turned out.

Today the tilers finished up. I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I've paid people to work on my house, but I just couldn't beat the price and they finished in 2 days.

We actually bought the vanity top from Lowe's several months ago. My wife wanted a bank of drawers down the middle so the challenge was measuring around the integrated sinks while the top was still in the box--I didn't want to risk breaking it by taking it out of the box. I wasn't good about taking work in progress pics, though. To make the drawers work, I had to make cutouts in the uprights to accommodate the sinks. You can just see the cutout in this pic. The carcass is all melamine. The left side is skinned with a solid walnut panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wip.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	831873

All the walnut is from one tree so the color is nice and uniform. I resawed and veneered the door and drawer fronts over baltic birch ply.

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	831875

Name:	view2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	831876

I wanted the grain on the drawer fronts to be continuous.

Name:	drawers.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	831877

The drawer boxes are held together using Dominoes

Name:	drawr.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	831878

I had planned on reusing the old mirror, but the new vanity is several inches taller than the old one so the mirror needed to be cut down. Theoretically. I have cut glass before but this mirror was pretty thick. Anyway, it didn't go well. I ended up buying the mirror from a local glass shop.

I've also been overthinking finishing big time for the longest time. This finish was just a couple coats of dewaxed shellac followed by several coats of General Finishes Endurovar water borne poly.

Thanks for looking,
    Paul
    Attached Files
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

That is a nice vanity, finish came out great! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Looks good! I really like the dominos jointery. Not everyone can make dovetails and a glued/nailed together drawer box doesn’t have the class the walnut vanity presents.
      capncarl

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

This is really nice workmanship. I am glad my wife did not (and not going to) see these pictures! Thanks for sharing.
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Looks great!! I am into my third month of waiting on a vanity from Lowes. I wish my wife had let me make it.

Comment

Working...