Shop made lathe tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop made lathe tools

It seems like forever ago (it was) that I saw the carbide lathe tools that Bill (Buena Park) made. At the time I thought I have to make some of those. I found the wood for the handles and got hold of some bar stock. I got as far as cutting and gluing the handle blanks but then they sat around the shop gathering dust. I have been trying to set a new rule in the shop that I will not leave half finished projects lying around so I got all the bits together and finished them.

My metalworking is rather rudimentary and the epoxy could have been neater but I am very happy with the end result. The small ones are 18" long with 12" of handle using 3/8 bar stock. The big ones are 24" total length with 16" of handle using 1/2" bars.

I am dying to give them a try on something but should really wait at least 24 hrs for the epoxy to cure hard. I did sneak a few light passes and they seem to cut like butter :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-09-28 14.39.06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	831658
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Nice job! You'll enjoy using those tools for a long time.

Comment

Nice job... I wish I had such nice handles on some of my kitchen tools -- such as spatula handles,
      my plastic handles are half melted.

Comment

Beautiful job on those Jon! Mine have been indispensible to me, as I'm sure you'll come to appreciate when you start using them. I'm presently working on a natural edge fluted vase, just today in fact, and used at least 4 different carbide tools in addition to standard gouges and scrapers. Let us know if they handle as nice as they look!
        Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 10-01-2017, 12:54 AM.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park View Post
          Beautiful job on those Jon! Mine have been indispensible to me, as I'm sure you'll come to appreciate when you start using them. I'm presently working on a natural edge fluted vase, just today in fact, and used at least 4 different carbide tools in addition to standard gouges and scrapers. Let us know if they handle as nice as they look!
          Thanks Bill. I used them this weekend and the rougher especially did great at hogging out rough forms. Still trying to figure the best way to use them for hollowing out bowls.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Only the flat round and the cupped round should be used for hollowing, in my opinion. The flat round can be used flat on the tool rest (scraping, on center or slightly above), or rotated for sheer scraping, ~45 degrees to the direction of rotation, or you may be flirting with a catastrophic catch. The cupped round is tricky - I only use mine in sheer cutting mode (not scraping). Although I still have a flat round on a round bar that I use on occasion, I made another tool on square stock to hold the flat round flat on the tool rest, this is the most useful for me for hollowing. For the cupped round, I modified my square bar by regrinding the tip to a 45deg compound angle, and I use it to do slight undercuts during hollowing. I used it on this vase, but its not shown in the vid. I'll have to take a picture of it tonight to show you how it looks on the end.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

I had mixed results with the flat round cutter it seemed OK when making initial plunge style cuts buts as I needed to refine the sidewall it did not seems as steady and I could not hog much out at a time. Not sure if that's due to the round bar. I decided to use that as I thought it would be easier when rotating for shearing cuts. I have a cupped cutter on the shorter smaller tool but on a square bar and havent tried that yet except for some finishing cuts on bowl exterior. Had not thought to use that for hollowing. Looks like I may have to make some larger heavier duty hollower. Although given how long it took me to make these that might be another 18 months :-(

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park View Post
              Only the flat round and the cupped round should be used for hollowing, in my opinion. The flat round can be used flat on the tool rest (scraping, on center or slightly above), or rotated for sheer scraping, ~45 degrees to the direction of rotation, or you may be flirting with a catastrophic catch. The cupped round is tricky - I only use mine in sheer cutting mode (not scraping). Although I still have a flat round on a round bar that I use on occasion, I made another tool on square stock to hold the flat round flat on the tool rest, this is the most useful for me for hollowing. For the cupped round, I modified my square bar by regrinding the tip to a 45deg compound angle, and I use it to do slight undercuts during hollowing. I used it on this vase, but its not shown in the vid. I'll have to take a picture of it tonight to show you how it looks on the end.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...
              X