• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

I bought a bag of concrete mix for posts and was surprised that there were instructions on the bag! It said to pour about 1/4 of the bag dry into the hole, set the post, and fill with water-mixed remainder of the bag. I used the mix to fill a 5 gallon bucket to set my Harbor Freight flagpole with a weather station mounted on top.Turns out it wouldn't stand for 25 knot wind, so I buried the base, bucket and all. Works great, and I can dig it up if I move

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Where I live, in the land of cotton, the common practice for a mailbox post is to dig a post hole 18" deep and to excavate the top 6" of soil out to about 24" dia. Set the pole in the hole and kick in a few inches of soil and fill the remainder of the hole with dry mix concrete. Why so sturdy you might ask? It seems that every young sprout around here drives a pick-um-up truck and takes pride in running over rural mail boxes. This way when the perpetrator flattens your mailbox the large disk of concrete gets tangled up under his truck and makes a heck of a mess out of its bottom side. I know several professional mail box runner overes that will actually get out of the truck and test the soil around the mailbox to see if it is a big disk of concrete before they come back to flatten it!
      Hence, those of us who know what is happening build 2'x2' square brick mail box posts.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

Looks great! Live the tenon joint!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by d_meister
          I bought a bag of concrete mix for posts and was surprised that there were instructions on the bag! It said to pour about 1/4 of the bag dry into the hole, set the post, and fill with water-mixed remainder of the bag. I used the mix to fill a 5 gallon bucket to set my Harbor Freight flagpole with a weather station mounted on top.Turns out it wouldn't stand for 25 knot wind, so I buried the base, bucket and all. Works great, and I can dig it up if I move

Yeah that's what I did last time I had to set a post (which has been a long time)... buy the kind that you just pour dry in the hole and add water. Very easy!

Comment

Working...