Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Big Green Egg table

Just in time for grilling season

My neighbor helped me lower the egg into the table.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161105_141740_zpse0p3ucrp.jpg Views:	3 Size:	455.5 KB ID:	828093

After he left I realized I couldn't open the dome all the way. The hinge was hitting the table. I used the dimensions from the BGE website (http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-conten...E-TP-LARGE.pdf) so either they are wrong or the hinge on mine is different than the one they designed it for.

No matter, I added some blocks underneath the paver and now it's fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161105_145805_zpsira9u3oy.jpg Views:	4 Size:	452.0 KB ID:	828094

I grilled some Korean short ribs on there for dinner.

Thanks for looking,
    Paul
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good, Paul!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Who'd thunk that the mfg would have missed the dimensions? I've met the owner/founder so I understand. Raising the height of the egg increased the opening size around the egg, which would have burned out anyway if the wood was that close, so you did good! The sides get really hot.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Nice job on the ribs we will be over soon, oh yes and the cart ;-)
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I just noticed on the photo that the egg is in full dress when you dropped iit in the hole. In this configuration it weighs 165lb, if you have to do it again the bottom, less the fire ring and fire bowl weighs about 35-40 lbs. Less hernias and back problems this way.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
            I just noticed on the photo that the egg is in full dress when you dropped iit in the hole. In this configuration it weighs 165lb, if you have to do it again the bottom, less the fire ring and fire bowl weighs about 35-40 lbs. Less hernias and back problems this way.
            Before I did the move, I did see that the BGE is supposed to weigh that much. I did clean it and remove everything inside before moving it to the table but I don't believe those stats. The innards might weigh 35-40lbs, but I was able to pick up the bare egg from the nest and place it onto the table top by myself. It wasn't easy mainly because there aren't that many good handholds, but it definitely wasn't over 100lbs. It seemed to be around the weight of a sack of concrete.

I thought about removing the dome, but then feared I'd over torque the band and crack it on the reinstall or under torque it and have the lid fall out the next time I opened it. I've read that happening to people and that must just make your heart sink into your stomach.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The eggheads I deal with say to tighten till you bend the bolts and the ring, that you can't break the dome by overtightenin, but you can break the dome when it falls out on the concrete because the bolts were not tight enough. They have called my hand at it a couple of times and insisted that I stop what I am doing, go get wrenches and tighten until the bolts bend. I respect what they say because 2 of my eggs were obtained by these eggheads from the BGE corporate store in Lawrenceville from them giving cooking demonstrations with them.
              capncarl

Comment

Working...