• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Yet more boards

Here is another large batch of boards getting oiled up. I have a few more large ones still in glue up and I think I will be done with these for a while. Dang soooo much sanding!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-31 09.29.30.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	828019
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-31 09.29.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	828020

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Wow Jon - you've been busy! Beautiful work.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

How do you sand your board tops?

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        How do you sand your board tops?
        Laboriously! A long time stood at the drum sander. Sanding the endgrain is really tough. I have recently made life a little easier by getting some 36 grit rolls. I start here and get them flat after glue up and then go through 80, 120 and 150. With long grain this would easily have got rid of all the marks but it wont with the end grain. I then round over all the edges at the router table and sand the edges and tops with a ROS to get rid of as many of the last marks as possible.

Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I feel your pain! I just put in 4 1/2 - 5 hours sanding 6 sets of tiny table legs. what ROS sander are you using?.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

I feel your pain! I just put in 4 1/2 - 5 hours sanding 6 sets of tiny table legs. what ROS sander are you using?.

Therein lies a story. up until this particular sanding job I had 2 ROSs. An older Dewalt and also the Klingspoor sander which I believe was an OEM version of the Bosch 1893DVS. Halfway through these boards the klingspoor seemed to completley lose its mind and speed control. when you turn it on it accelerates up to warp speed and if you try and use it, it immediately bogs down and wont sand at all! Not sure whats wrong, probaly the speed controller but I think it may be dead and time for a new ROS. All recommendations accepted.

The Bosch ROS20VSK seems to get good reviews as does the DEWALT D26453K. Not sure if need a meatier one like the heavier duty bosch although I dont really want to have to pay $200+ for a ROS.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

NOTE....... This comment is not intended to start a debate on Ridgid tools and their warranty. For discussion on this matter, dredge up an old post on that subject....
              I've had really good results building table tops with a Ridgin R 2611 6-inch ROS. The cost was around $100. I've seen them for sale at some tool outlet stores in the large outlet malls for $45. My first experience with this sander was when I was building a consignment antique pine dining room table and had been sanding for 4 hours with my 4 and 5 inch Bosch and Mikita ROSs, I was frustrated because I still had many hours of sanding to finish. I went looking for a bigger sander and the Ridgid 6" was all I could find. I purchased it figuring it wouldn't much better than what I had and would give it a try, if it didn't perform I could carry it back. To my surprise it finished the sanding job in 15 minutes. I've since built numerous large tables with it and the total sanding time was less than an hour for the tops! 10 minutes with this sander is all that is needed on my tiny table tops before finishing up with a finishing sander.
              capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

NOTE....... This comment is not intended to start a debate on Ridgid tools and their warranty. For discussion on this matter, dredge up an old post on that subject....
                I've had really good results building table tops with a Ridgin R 2611 6-inch ROS. The cost was around $100. I've seen them for sale at some tool outlet stores in the large outlet malls for $45. My first experience with this sander was when I was building a consignment antique pine dining room table and had been sanding for 4 hours with my 4 and 5 inch Bosch and Mikita ROSs, I was frustrated because I still had many hours of sanding to finish. I went looking for a bigger sander and the Ridgid 6" was all I could find. I purchased it figuring it wouldn't much better than what I had and would give it a try, if it didn't perform I could carry it back. To my surprise it finished the sanding job in 15 minutes. I've since built numerous large tables with it and the total sanding time was less than an hour for the tops! 10 minutes with this sander is all that is needed on my tiny table tops before finishing up with a finishing sander.
                capncarl
                Very interesting, do you attribute this to the extra 1" of disc, possibly the brand of 6" discs you used or the fact the sander is generally better. I get the surface area theory but I would not have thought that that alone would make so much differfence. Of course I have a large stock of 8hole 5 inch discs to work through so not sure if I really want to have to double up on 5 and 6 discs with all the grits. Would like a good workhorse ROS though ;-)
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

The 6" ROS will make the job go so much quicker it is well worth investment in another size of sandpaper. I think that the faster sanding on the 6" ROS is a combination of additional paper size, and weight. It just works muuuuuch faster. Today I sanded on 6 tiny table tops, 4 more hours of sanding. I prefer using the smaller 5" ROS brcause of its weight, so I use it for small spots. Several times I ran into blade marks that didn't go away quickly with the 5", so I grabbed the 6" and the blade marks quickly disappeared. The 6" ROS is larger and heavier but it doesn't shake your hands to pieces and leave them numb like the smaller sanders do.

Comment

Working...