• Show
Clear All
  • Doctor Jeff
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2016
    • Omaha NE
    • Sawstop contractor saw 2016

Industrial table in cherry

I recently finished a project to create a monitor stand for a computer workstation for my fiancee, who does a lot of work from home. I found a nice 4/8 cherry board and glued up 2 slabs. I breadboarded the ends with walnut strips, mainly to increase the length a bit--they are screwed in, not glued, to allow for board movement.

The base is 3/4" black steel pipe and fittings from Home Depot. I had to clean off the gross black paint and oil from the pipes themselves--messy but easy with steel wool and mineral spirits.

The finish is 3 coats of Danish oil--my favorite for nicely figured woods like cherry.

A smaller glass/steel desk from IKEA fits under it for the laptop, mouse, etc.

Total cost of materials a bit over $100. I am planning to make quite a few more things using black steel pipe and hopefully selling them at a shop in our neighborhood. The industrial look is a hot style right now.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looks Great! I like the cherry!

Last week, my youngest daughter asked me to help her with some plumbing furniture for her house. I have a fortune in old plumbing that never got thrown away! I even have 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch plumbing threaders. I think I am going to make me some money!

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Great idea, nice treatment of the cherry!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Love it - nice finish on the cherry, and the "industrial" look is cool.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

A friend on mine is planning on taking on a project like this, after I find him a slab for the top. He purchased a couple of painted iron pieces for legs at coffee table height and will weld them together. A little background on my friend, he is a CPA / retirement planner person, I've never seen him without a tie on and doubt he even owns jeans or kaki work pants. He has never taken any shop classes, industrial arts classes, I doubt he has ever changed his own oil and probably couldn't figure out how to get the hood open. He is really enthusiastic about this project and ordered a HF welder. He admitted that he as never seen anyone weld before but it couldn't be that hard, could it? I told him it was a piece of cake and he would catch on quickly! This is going to be interesting!

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

I like the look and was also considering doing something similar for a table base. Of your $100 material costs how much was just the plumbing parts for the base?
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• Doctor Jeff
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2016
              • Omaha NE
              • Sawstop contractor saw 2016

Oops--I should have said a bit less than $200. The pipe segments from Home Depot aren't super cheap--$10-12 per long segment, plus the other parts $3-6, so it adds up. The board from Midwest Woodworkers was 2x8x96" and about $85, IIRC.

I also frequent the local salvage yard; their stuff is variable in quality, though they recently started getting some really nice rough cut boards with great figure, though really expensive.

I don't mind spending a bit for a nice result, since I know it would cost 2 to 3 times this to buy it already made.

Comment

Working...