• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Color Pencil Pen

I've been wanting to try this for awhile, ever since Peter Brown made his color pencil ring. I made a pen blank out of a bunch of color pencils glued up with CA glue. I made this out of a bunch of mismatched pencils, so there were some gaps that I filled in with CA glue. The top end blew up on me, so I had to glue that back together. Also, I ended up with one graphite lead pencil, so when I sanded, I made a mess that smeared in the finish, so the bottom is a little dark in spots. Other than that, I am very happy with my first attempt.

I'll definitely make some more of these. I think they will make great teacher gifts around the holidays.
    Joe
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That is cool and it will definitely make good teacher gifts. Must be a lot glue to hold all that together.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Not terribly bad. I used medium thick CA glue and the pencils fit together pretty well for the most part.
      Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

I like that! Great work with setting up the randomness of color in your blank. Final finish is also CA glue?
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Yes, 3 coats of thin, micro meshed, 3 coats of medium, then micro meshed again. No idea if that's the best way, but that's what I've seen on YouTube. The finish is great.
          Joe

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Very cool! Nice work. I bet those are saleable
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I like that pen. I have seem bowls and pens like that before, but it still blows my mind. Great colors!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• joedad
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2015
                • Yardley, PA
                • Ryobi Bt3000

Very Nice!!!!!

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Very nice indeed!!

It looks like you had to glue about 50 pencils to get your blank. In my mind that alone is an art to be able to organize them in a pleasing patter (which you have done)!!
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

That is very cool indeed. Can you explain a little more how you made the blanks. As the pencils are cross cut did you start out by gluing together pencils that would be approx 3/4 deep by 6" wide by 1 pencil long and then cutting them into blanks. I guess maybe 5 or 6 from each glue up. Is that kind of right? As there are lots of gaps how did you deal with the ends where the blank needs to be solid and square where the pen kit joins?
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I cut the pencils down to about 3" long then glued those sections together, one row at a time. I ended up 3 pencils high (~3/4") and about 5" long. I then cut up that large blank into 3 separate 3/4" square x 5" blanks. I then squared up the ends on each blank. Hopefully, that makes sense. I found my pictures that I took from my Crayola attempts. *These pictures were before I squared the ends.

FWIW, this first attempt was made with a bunch of leftover pencils from my kids--so there were mainly off brands with a couple Crayolas thrown in. I have since made a couple more, exclusively with Crayolas (on sale and I figured they would be the best) and that has proven to be a problem. The "lead" in the Crayolas act like graphite, which I don't think they are, and spread fine dust all over the blank when sanding. I am have read cheaper brands work better. I think my original pen was with Crazy Art or something. I am going to try some dollar store pencils to see if they work better.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by JoeyGee; 09-13-2016, 08:43 PM.
                      Joe

Comment

Working...