• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another quick project - Stepstool

Just posting my small projects to get some discussion going here.

Hank Lee recently posted a thread about why are 21st century beds so high?
    http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...y-beds-so-high

Well, my daughter gave me such a high bed. I put it in one of the spare bedrooms.
    My son and DIL have been using that room and bed when they visit from out of town. Recently she is 8 months pregnant and I know she is not getting onto that bed without some help. So I knocked out one of my stool designs for her to get a step up onto the bed.

See the pictures below. Its made of 2x4s mostly. Gives a very strong and weighty stool. The legs are a little wider than the top so it has stability against tipping over. I like it and its the third one I've made with this design although the other two are outside, made with Pressure treated pine and cedar.

The chief feature is the assymetrical 45 degree "X" legs. I cut a 90° lap joint, but its off center. The good thing is that the four leg pieces are absolutely identical and not even mirrored so its easy not to screw it up.

I make the lap joints by making two parallel partial cross cuts 3/4" deep on the BT3000 table saw, The cuts define the width of the lapping 2x4. Then I make a series of cuts 3/4" deep in between just sliding the two by four over a bit on the sliding miter fence. So its about 50% cut. I break off the pieces that are left - so thin I can do it. It leaves a rough bottom.

If you want finish up with a rasp, or a chisel to clean it up (or even make more passes with the table saw) but I used a short flush trim pattern router bit.

with a 1/2" cutting length. Mount it in a table. This allows me to use the sides as a pattern and cut the bottom of the lap joint flush and make it a hair deeper if I need to - it will put a square bottom on the edge and deepen the joint by the original cuts, Beautiful lap joint, perfectly flat and perfectly tuneable for depth. You can't see it but you can feel the bearing against the wall. With a 3/4" cutting width its easy to clean out the 3.5" x 3.5" lap in short order. Just zigzag between the two parallel walls.

A couple of 3" long screws in the ends into a pre-drilled cross beam 2x4 completes the bottom. The steps I made from some nicely sanded cedar planks I had.
    Balance the stool on edge to find the center of gravity and put a couple of holes for a lift rope. Works great in picking up a rather hefty stool with one hand, otherwise a bit awkward to handle without using two hands!

Offhand its about 18" wide and about 8" tall.

Hope you enjoyed my post. The DIL really enjoyed using it!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Good simple strong design with clean lines, and I like the handle for carrying it. Handy to have almost anywhere. While I am 5'10" LOML is constantly asking me to get something from the top shelf in the kitchen cabinets. (too much stuff). We have two 8 inch stools in the kitchen area, one for the cabinets and one for the pantry. Use them all the time.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Simple, strong, functional.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nice work, Loring. I'm sure your daughter (and future grandkid) appreciate it.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Nice job Loring, it's reminded me that I need to make something similar. I like the design, I wonder how one might adapt for 2 steps?
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I like that a lot. For some reason nice things made out of cheap construction lumber always impress me.

I like your "brand" too... always wanted one of those.

Comment

Working...