• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Outdoor cedar and PTP planter boxes

Worked on a few planter boxes (three) for wife's back yard projects.
    Couldn't find a window-box sized planter so we bought some long plastic boxes and I made a holder for them.
    The plastic box sets down neatly inside and the bottom is supported by cross braces. The bottom is open, actually.
    Then I made the bases - they are quite substantial, since I used 4x4 fence post portions I saved from a fence rebuild a few years back. Only rotten at the base left 5 feet of usable top!

Simple construction - I just dadoed the top rails and cut some fence pickets to fit vertically. Trim the last few to fit horizontally. Chamfer the vertical edges to give it a nice look on the transitions between vertical boards..

I'll let them weather - the last ones lasted 10-12 years. If I varnish them they'll require yearly maintenance and refinishing..
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-29-2016, 04:01 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

This look great. And nice use of recycled material for the base.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Nice job! I enjoy working with cedar... easy to work, smells good, weathers well and around my area the wood is plentiful and relatively cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Looks Good!! I made a similar set for my mom last year for mother's day. I used redwood from home depot. I ended up putting epifanes finish on it.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I like me some planter boxes. I'm gradually migrating my whole garden to planter boxes. Not raised up on legs like yours though. Don't want no dang rattlesnake hiding under one! I visited an estate sale lately that had all planter boxes18-24" high, full if compost and mushroom compost.... what a growing machine.
          capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Loring, those turned out very nice. We've been slowly decommissioning some raised beds but I can see replacing them with some of these.

Comment

Working...