• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Bunch of Boards

Wrapped up 10 cutting boards this weekend. Those pool table legs worked out really well. I can make 2 of this sized board from each one, either approx 12" Sq end grain or 12"x16" long grain. I have another technique for cutting them up that could yield larger boards that I will try next. I think I have 8 or 9 legs left so that's quite a few boards, although if I quarter them length-ways it would yield 4 x 3"x16" turning blanks that could become pepper mills. If anybody has any other ideas let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-26 19.34.34.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	826080Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-27 08.44.36.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	826081
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

OHHH Ahhh those are nice!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

You guys make me jealous with your ability to use wood like that! ANY time I put joints together cross grained, they separate within a year or two at the latest due to wood movement in different directions. I still have reminders of those wood projects 40 years ago!

LOOKS GREAT!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Those do look great. Excellent use for them. Other suggestions might be a matching knife holder for a few knives that match the board. Maybe a spoon caddy to match. Might require some relief carving.

Hank I was surprised the other day. I was looking through the old shed and cleaning things out. I ran across a chess board build that I had forgotten about. It is maple and walnut. It doesn't yet have a border around it, but the spline groove is there.
        It has lived maybe 15 years in that unheated and uncooled shed and did not have any cracks.
        Looks like I just made it. That is proof enough for me to know that my technique works.

At least on that one.
        Lee

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
          You guys make me jealous with your ability to use wood like that! ANY time I put joints together cross grained, they separate within a year or two at the latest due to wood movement in different directions. I still have reminders of those wood projects 40 years ago!

LOOKS GREAT!
          What do you think the issue is? I have a cutting board I made 5 or 6 years ago and it is a solid as when I made it. I dont do anything special, just glue together using TB3 as they do get an occasional wash. I have considered splines but have never gone that far.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I went with splines on chess boards for a few reasons.
            First being there is a lot of little parts. Splines help constrain those little blocks. That, however was never an issue. I never had little blocks to start with. It was glued up strips that was recut and reglued. Easy peasy. The BT saw allowed me to get the precision I needed on the cuts. Rip, cross cut and vertical cuts with a jig. Not a problem. I think I used hickory splines in that board, but not certain. It certainly turned to to be a good glueup and lasted through extreme environment.
            I need longevity in a chess board. A cutting board does not have to live as long as a quality chess board to avid players and loyal families that do that stuff. I don't. Not smart enough to beat my ex wife. However she is a smart girl. Look who she married.
            Last edited by Stytooner; 06-27-2016, 05:05 PM.
            Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Great looking bunch of cutting boards!
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

That is a lot of glue up! That's an impressive array. I kind of remember the pool table thread. They weren't all made from the same species of wood? Looks like white oak, maple, and cherry?

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  That is a lot of glue up! That's an impressive array. I kind of remember the pool table thread. They weren't all made from the same species of wood? Looks like white oak, maple, and cherry?
                  Good memory. There is one different board in there that I had started a while back but had not yet got around to finishing. Its the 2nd in from the left and IIRC it has white oak, cherry & walnut. The legs seem to be pretty much maple or oak although there may be a random odd piece that sneaked into the original glue up.

There wasn't quite as much glue up as you might think. The legs are essentially ~6" x 16" and are a laminated construction. I took slices either with or across the grain and then reassembled the pieces. For the end grain ones it is 4 slices joined together. If you look at this one you can clearly see the 4 identical slices. I rotated each 90 degrees which I think makes for a very pleasing design. The only limitation with this method is that I am rather stuck to making boards that are direct multiples of the 6x6 square. A 12"x18" board will be a good size and I think I will do at least one of those. 18x18 I think is a bit big and aligning 9 pieces will be rather a pain. I do want to try cutting a couple into either 2x2 or 2x3 by 16" pieces and then gluing back up as one would a regular end grain board. it should create some interesting patterns.

Name:	2016-06-27 17.37.45.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	826098

Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by poolhound

What do you think the issue is? I have a cutting board I made 5 or 6 years ago and it is a solid as when I made it. I dont do anything special, just glue together using TB3 as they do get an occasional wash. I have considered splines but have never gone that far.
                    Well, I did use wood that was 7 to 10 years old - not kiln dried; Made a table (two), made a large desk, made other things. Oak, cherry, walnut. I was either in the New Orleans area or on the coast of Japan. But Lee is on the Alabama coast with plenty of humidity. I was basically making bread board type of ends and joints without pining - Instead, I glued them. I changed my methods in the early '90s.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Those do really look good. When you first posted photos of the pool table legs I though you had gotten a bunch of firewood. Smart re-use of materials.
                      capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

But Lee is on the Alabama coast with plenty of humidity. I was basically making bread board type of ends and joints without pining - Instead, I glued them. I changed my methods in the early '90s.
                        Humidity, we scoff in the face of humidity. As we say here in the desert "It is a dry heat!"

Name:	skull-in-desert-2-kelley-king.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	826104
                        Attached Files
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I always try to pick out my favorite when people have posted a bunch of something. I'm stumped this time though, every single one of those cutting boards is really nice.
                          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Humidity, we scoff in the face of humidity. As we say here in the desert "It is a dry heat!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n826104[/ATTACH]
                            That photo is exactly how I feel today at 104 degrees here in Sacramento. I live in Minnesota for the beautiful winters.
                            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n826104[/ATTACH]
                              So is my oven!
                              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...