• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

The tray and the chessboard are awesome. What is the little knob on the side for, is there a drawer hidden there? Do I understand correctly that the coffee table top was also redone from mahogany you found? That was not clear, would love to see it (uncovered...)
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Bill, the knob is there cause my original plan was to have it mounted to a box underneath
      to hold the chess pieces and checkers. We made the box, and mounted it from underneath
      with hinges, but I didn't like it. I liked it better with just the board alone. So, we then made
      feet under the board (not visible) and the board just floats above the table.

Yes, we got a complete big desk that was waiting for us to drive by and adopt it.
      The desk was big, about six foot long and it was beautiful mahogany. So far we used
      it on this table and on a shelf in our foyer. The mahagony shelf is in our album
      if you want to see it. It's a mix of mahagony and oak (also adopted)
      A lot of the furniture builds was made from oak church kneelers. Our son
      saw it behind his church, they were tossing them cause they replaced them.
      We stripped them, took off the leather fabric, all the staples and screws, planed them
      and filled in the holes. I call it our holy wood. The sizes ran from 6 foot long to 12
      foot long. We made tons of stuff with it and still have a several pieces left.
      Right now we're making a little table, to hold a little lamp. My idea was to make
      this little table instead of buying a pole lamp.

You want to see the mahagony table bare? I assume you mean naked? I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Comment

• Two Much
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Long Island, NY
        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

So Bill, thanks for asking for a bare pic. It inspired me to flip it over and give it a waxing.
        There is a blast of sun coming in, maybe I can get a better pic of the top later

The bottom of the table was an antique dining room table. We cut off the big fat legs that it had,
        and the head guy turned new the legs from walnut. He also put steel rods through the middle
        of the newly turned legs.
        So, The top was made from the drive by mahagony
        desk, with the exception of a piece of the light small bead of poplar molding.

I wanted a 'tall' table, both for playing chess and also for serving snacks and drinks when
        we have company. The couch is 17" high (to the cushions) and the top of the coffee table
        is 21" high. So, the top is mahogany, the legs are walnut and the bottom is -- I donno what?
        I managed to get a good matching finish on all the different woods. This room has several
        antique pieces of furniture, so we needed a coffee table that fit in with the antique end
        tables.

It so easy to post photos here...be careful what you ask for when you ask for a photo.

Joann
        Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Long Island, NY
          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

ok, here's the top, I pulled it out from the sun. The top is day-doed (don't know how to spell it)
          Attached Files

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Wow, That is taking "re-cycle" to astronomical heights!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Wow - very nice, love that grain. Great find - thanks for showing that off!
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

A handsome dog dresses up any room. Not that you need help though!

Comment

Working...