• Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

And another box

I can't make these fast enough.

This time, I added braces for the divider, and felt to the bottom.

Guess I could trim out the base ----- but I make and sell at least 1 a week, right now.

I sell them for $50. A box takes roughly 3 hours of labor. I"m not really getting rich off them!

Either they're sufficiently unique, or the people buying them are charitable.

My last customer said I should enter a box into the state fair. I don't think I'm quite at that level ---
    but these are fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	another box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	800911
    Last edited by durango dude; 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Criminy! At $50 a pop you're beating minimum wage ... of course there is that whole materials and shop materials cost ... You may have mentioned before but what are the dimensions? I'm curious what people say they are using these for (jewelry? ) Do you have your own booth at craft shows or ??? Where exactly are you finding a market?

Keep it up!
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I like the boxes. The proud ends on the fingers make them. Are you varying the sizes any? Thought about putting a music box in any?

At 3 hrs and getting $50 you are doing well. You have minimum materials invested and get to use your shop! If you went larger scale and put them in a consignment shop you would have to pay 30% or better commission, and if you raised your price to keep your $50 you would price yourself out the market. It is hard to find an outlet for hand made items. Some retail shops will buy woodwork to re sell, but since they try to double their money your take is beans! I looked at a couple of artist co-ops that you could sell at with low fees, but the strings attached were that you had to work there 8 hrs every month or so. That could be fun but they were a day's drive away and would require a motel stay.
      capncarl

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

typical box ------ start with 2 lf of 3/4" wood (3 inches tall).

I like the proud finger ends - that's what makes these boxes stand out.

The 3/4" oak makes the box feel like a tank! I think it might be better planed down to 5/8"

I know they're used for other purposes, as well.
        I believe one customer put some dried rose petals and a couple of love notes in her box.
        A friend of mine asked me to make one for his wife (jewelry, I believe).
        I also have a friend that would like a music box.

Comment

Working...