Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Post Office Box Banks

This is what I've been working on the past 2 weekends:

Built the two identical banks 2 weekends ago, other than finish and final assembly. They are for my two boys, built from walnut. This was my first ever attempt at doing box joints... they aren't perfect but I was still happy with the final outcome.

The third bank was built this past weekend, as well as finishing and final assembly (adding the doors) of all three. This bank is made of ash and walnut, and (obviously) looks like a mailbox. Since the third door was smaller, I wanted to try to do something more creative with it, and was really pleased with how it turned out. Although I toyed with trying to make the "mail drop" work for coins, I decided to take the easier path and make the mail drop door just for looks.

I may still add brass coin slots on all three, but I don't think it looks bad with just the wood slots either.
    Attached Files
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hey Tim, those came out great. I didn't follow the project thread, though. How did you do the curved top on the mailbox? And who gets to hold onto the key to open the box? The boys or you?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Very well executed! Your kids .... AND .. their kids will treasure them!
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        And who gets to hold onto the key to open the box? The boys or you?
        Look close. No key, just the combination. Make sure it is written down and in a safe place where you can find it.

My granddaughter forgot/lost the combination to hers and I had to figure it out by watching the lock plates line up through the coin slot. Took almost an hour to get it right since the positions of the combination can fall between 2 letters/numbers. ( Such as A C/D F) Her combination is now written down and in my wallet.

I was shown how to change the combination but I would have to try one to remember how it is done. It is a random combination change and you can't set them to a combination of your choosing.

Beautiful work on all three. I too would like to know how the curved top was done.
        Last edited by Pappy; 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Nicely done Tim! Add me to the list that wants to know how you did the curve.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Thanks everyone - definitely a fun little project.

Nothing too advanced on the curved top -- I cut out the sides on the bandsaw using a homemade pattern I drew up. Then I assembled everything together, gluing a small block of walnut between the top curved portion. Then once the glue set it was back to the bandsaw to cut this block of walnut close to the curved sides, and then everything was refined on the OSS/OBS.

Before I glued the block in place I sawed a kerf cut along the top front to give the illusion that the front side opens up (mail drop).

-Tim

Comment

Working...