X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Cordless Drill wall unit

Ok, so after really trying to learn the art of woodworking, I had given it up due to frustration and lack of increasing skill. The tools were packed for over a year. For some reason, I decided to try again. The project is about as simple as it gets, but I guess one step at a time. I needed a place to store my cordless drills. The unit is 1/2" oak ply with a 3/4" top shelf to which french cleats are screwed in for mounting on the wall. Construction is just basic butt joints, glue and brads, but seems plenty strong. Finish is 3 coats of wipe on poly. I rounded the front edges to keep from banging body parts on it. The chargers are just sitting on top for now, but I may secure them and plan to add a 4-plug power strip. The second shelf is for extra batteries and accessories. The drills themselves are held by gravity in slots that I drilled with a 1-7/8" forstner bit and then cut the slot on the bandsaw. The design came as a hybrid after looking at many images on google. Thank you to anyone who posted and gave me some inspiration.

Not much but at least it hasn't fallen apart--yet. Thank you for taking time to look. Hopefully the pics work
    The shop is in the basement, hence the unfinished stud walls--please forgive that.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sailor55330; 12-10-2014, 10:17 PM.
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Second picture--had to resize
    Attached Files

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I like it and I need one in my shop. My drill and impact driver don't have a home, but sure need one! Thanks for posting it!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

I like it. It's on my long to do list.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hey, that's nice.
          One suggestion would be to mount the chargers on the back wall so you can see the charge state indicators. I imagine the chargers have a key hole mounting hole on the bottom. Other wise they are high up and the LEDs point up and you can't see them.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Well designed. Looks great. Gives me some thoughts on building one of my own. Thanks for posting.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Nicely done. Very handy, I need to build one.

I love open stud walls. Very easy to put shelves into.
              Joe

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Very nice! Adding to LCHIEN 's suggestion, add a timer to cut off power to the Chargers. After having a charger meltdown it seems like a good idea.
                capncarl

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

Thanks all. Believe it or not, the Chargers don't have a keyhole! I usually turn off the power bar when I'm not in the shop, but a timer isn't a bad idea.
                  Last edited by sailor55330; 12-11-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i just looked, mine has 2 keyhole things for mounting.

A timer's not a bad idea... you shouldn't need it but it would be safer.
                    If you have fast Lithium chargers you could put a time on to charge for 3 hours and then shut off, That would top off batteries of any state of charge and then cut off all charging even if the sensing of the charger failed.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-11-2014, 07:06 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...