X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Router cubby

I had inspiration for this project a few weeks ago from a Google image search result - a place to store my router bases. The website is here and shows the inspiration:

I liked the idea of the cutout for the bits, and designed my own version. I didn't need that many spots and I didn't have the room for it anyway. This is the first project I created in Sketchup first then translated to the real world. This is also the first project I've done that turned out entirely as expected without any mistakes. I routinely make math errors, and I think laying it out virtually helped reduce those errors.

I still almost made one anyway. I set the dado up the first time and accidentally had the blade raised to the height of the material instead of the correct height for the dado. Luckily I caught that.

Here is the model:

And here it is translated to the real world:

And the link to the model:

I think if I ever redo it I will make the shelves two inches wider. But other than that, I'm extremely happy with it.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

I like it. Nice work.
    Bill

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Thanks. Function over form on this one. May take awhile to get it up on the wall, have to move some stuff around.

Comment

• Old Dutchman
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2011
        • Holland Mi
        • My BT3000

That is a great build! Looks nice, Does it go to the floor, or attach to a backboard? I seen the pics, But I guess I didn't pay attention. Great idea: Looked at it again. I like Your shop . looks like You have things organized nicely
        I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Nice Sketchup and nice execution.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Very nice work! Impressed by you spending time to do the Sketchup even for a shop piece.

And thanks for the link - seems a nice blog to follow.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Thanks for the kind words. Since I sit on a computer all day for my real job, I find I have a lot of time to do research and can do Sketchup mockups to save me time out in the shop. I get so little time out there.

Here's a pic of it mounted on the wall:

Last edited by Cochese; 11-09-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...