• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Small (in size) mirror distributor needed

I'm finishing my latest jewelry box and want to inset into the inside cover a mirror.
    What I'm looking for is something small (approx 5x8 inches with beveled ends.)
    Additionally, the box is in a *******ized Greene & Greene style and I'd like to get some etching on the mirror to emulate some of the inset floral designs that were commonplace to their furniture.
    Anyone out there have any leads. I've spent too many hours googling glass and mirror sites and still have nothing to show for it.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Bruce, I can not help you out

for locating a vendor for your mirror. BUT, please post a picture of your "... *******ized Greene & Greene style..." jewelry box when you completed building it. Hopefully some of the other members will have a hit for you on the mirror.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Something like these?

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I'd like to see it, too, Bruce. I just made a couple of boxes as a wedding present for a couple who have craftsman furniture. I couldn't think of an appropriate design, so I just used my latest concept. They liked the boxes, but they could have been a better match, IMHO.

JR
        JR

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Have you tried stained glass suppliers? I know I've seen small mirrors at my local place, but I don't remember the sizes.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Cab,
            That's great, just what I was sort of looking for.
            I guess I'll have to do the etching myself, which is no big dear (yeah right), got to contact them to see if they'll cut to size.
            BTW, Happy new year and don't eat too much chicken soup-lots of sodium.

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Here's an option for you. Go down to your local drug store, Wally World, K-Mart or Target, and go to the section where the girls go for the pretty up stuff. There you will find hand mirrors in various sizes. They are usually 1/8" mirror and can be removed easily. They are either snapped in with a captive edge, or just hot glued in and can be released with a heat gun or hair blower from the back.

You can cut the mirror to size real easy with a glass cutter. Take some air tool oil and mix in some mineral spirits to lighten it up a bit. Then use a clean brush and after you have cleaned the mirror lay a swipe line for where you want to cut. With the mirror face up, use a straight edge (if you want a straight line), and start the cutter away from you and rock the wheel on the edge. With slight pressure make one and only one pass to the other side without stopping, and come right off the edge. Hold the cutter like a pencil, with the three fingers past the index down to steady the cutter.

You can likely just put the mirror between your fingers and thumbs on either side of the cut line and press back with a quick snap. IOW, the sides of the cut get forced back. Don't try to pull them forward. Or, just take the cutting tool (it may have a ball end), or the nose of a pliers and tap gently (behind where the cutter came off the glass) on the underside to start a crack, and the crack will follow the score line.

You can soften the cut edge with silicone carbide sandpaper (wet-or-dry), either wet or dry with a 120x grit. Don't sand the back cut edge where the silvering is.

Clean the mirror face, edge, and back and lay it on newspapers on a flat surface, face down. Spray the back and edge with a clear acrylic spray (not lacquer). That keeps the slivering from turning black as seen on the face. That happens because when the silvering is cut, it oxidizes from the edge.

On the face, if you have a Dremel type tool, you can create your own engraving by using a small diamond bit shaped round, like a core box bit. You can draw out the pattern on the glass with a pointed grease pencil. Lay the running bit very gently onto the glass and keep it moving. The tool's balance should be almost neutral to the bit, so there isn't much pressure. You can create any pattern you want, just don't engrave off the glass. Keep all engraving within a border clear of the edge.

Tell me how it works out for ya.

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Very interesting info!
                Bill

Comment

Working...