• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

small project knife holder

Here's a project I spent days thinking about then about an hour making.

My wife had a utility knife but she did not want it loose in the drawer so I was assigned to make a holder for it.

at first I had these plans about resawing and putting a shallow relief then regluing to leave an embedded slot. Or, somehow using a bandsaw or scroll saw to cut a narrow slot and then putting a bottom on it.

Finally I hit upon the fact that the knife blade had a profile curve somewhat like the circumference of my 10" blade. I liked this because it made a single solid piece of wood with no glue or piecing together.

I set the blade as high as I wanted to cut deep. Marked the place where the blade intersected the table to place the front of the workpiece. Then counted 6 cranks as I lowered it. Placed the wood next to the fence, and up to the mark. Held the wood in place, started the saw, raised it 6 cranks and then 6 back down and voila, the blade slot was cut.

Then I got my 1/2" round nose bit, set up a router fence and put stops to stop the dado. The round nose put the perfect bottom to cradle the knife handle. several passes later I had the knife handle slot cut. A quick trip to the DP with a forstner made the finger access hole.

Just my thought processes. I enjoy creative problem solving.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Nice job, Loring.

I know what you mean about "days thinking", "1 hour working"
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Turned out nicely, and a good design solution too.
      Erik

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

Nice idea / work! Simple, practical and good looking!
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

My wife had a utility knife but she did not want it loose in the drawer so I was assigned to make a holder for it.

A good idea. A problem we would have is that if my wife could loose a knife in a drawer, there wouldn't be enough room in that drawer for a knife holder. We have one of those countertop knife holders for a set of knives. We also wound up with a variety knives of different sizes. Although I think the knife holder is a clever idea, it would have to be for a specific knife, and be pretty big for our drawer. So, my solution was to modify a drawer with separators like this.

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Great design and fantastic execution. Should I use the word "execution" in a thread about knives?
            Richard

Comment

Working...