• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RDavidP
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011
    • Maryland

Wine racks

Here are some of my finished projects, the wine racks, and a room project that is still on going. I actually got into wood working because I am a homebrewer, and once I bought a house, I started turning one of our rooms into a wine storage room. Can't call it a cellar because I don't have temperature and humidty regulation, though the temperature of the room does not exceded 68. I can't afford the price of rack kits, so I built my own. I unfortunately did not take pictures while building the racks.

All the bottles you see in here are of wine and mead that I have made. My wife is the one that put in the vinyl floor. It is called Moraccan Slate. I did all the painting in the room. The wall was painted using a sponge for the top, darker, coat. The two wooden wine bin are ones I built. The wine rack on the wall is a metal grid rack that I ordered.

These are the very first wood working pieces I made. It is 1x12 pine using basic butted joints and screws. Each cabinet can hold atleast 72 bottles of wine. I stained the first cabinet, but didn't stain the second one after seeing the not so good job I did staining.

One of my next pieces is the table that you see over the small refrigerators. This is my brewing work bench. I built this out of 2x12 joined together with 2x4, with 2x10s on the back. This is where I put my containers that are actively fermenting. The box is shielding a clear jug called a carboy. The curtain is a light blocking curtain. The cabinet next to it is one of my latest pieces. Again made from 1x12 pine. The top and bottom are butted, but the shelves are set in dadoes that I cut using my router, and then everything screwed together. Most of what is in this rack is home made beer. You then see the edge of another heavy curtain. That is the closet that I keep brewing equipment in.

Now this one took me forever. The uprights are 6' 1x4s, the shelves are made from 4' 1x4s and 1x2s for the bottle seperators. Made from pine. By this time, I had figured out how to stain. This rack holds 108 bottles. And no, you don't have to point out that some of the shelves are not quite straight. This as my third or fourth wood working project.

This wall is where I am going to build and place some kind of table top cabinet that will be my decanting and serving table, will hold a couple of cases of wine in one part, a drawer to hold wine serving stuff, and some shelves underneath to store my decanters. I will get some nice hardwood from a lumber specialty store that I recently found in my area to build this cabinet from.

As I make more wine, I will most like be redoing some of my cabinets, replacing them with bigger ones and such.
  • Larryl
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Lorena, TX, USA.
    • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

You have two very interesting hobbies and you have managed to use one to enhance the other. I think you must be learning quite a lot about woodworking and wine/beer making, also, your remodel looks good. I hope you don't get around the woodworking tools after testing the wine/beer.
    I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• nickg
      Established Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Marietta, Georgia
      • Ryobi BT3000

Looks like you take winemaking seriously - that's a lot of bottles!!

Good job on the racks (and the painted walls)!!

Comment

• RDavidP
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2011
        • Maryland

Originally posted by Larryl
        I hope you don't get around the woodworking tools after testing the wine/beer.
        Well if you look at the very last rack that I posted, the tall stained one, you might think that I hit the cellar before the assembly of the rack.

I started on the room December of 2009 with the floor and walls and the first two book case like cabinets, and I am still not done. As mentioned, I am in need of actually expanding how much I can hold and will be remaking some racks plus build a decanting/tasting table. I currently have 338 bottles, and by the end of summer will have a total of over 500.

Comment

• johnk
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2009

That's a lot of wine!

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

It does look like you need to "add" some more space. I would be happy to drink as many bottles as you would like to get rid of.
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• jwd12
              Established Member
              • Jun 2005
              • Dyer, In..
              • BT3100

I suffer from the same two afflictions: woodworking and wine collecting. The wine labels are not visible on most store bought wine racks. Thus had to make my own. Hope the pictures give you some ideas.
              Attached Files
              I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• RDavidP
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2011
                • Maryland

I am glad you posted those pictures. I am currently building something like this: http://www.wineenthusiast.com/n-fini...id=HPRCNTLYVWD.

For the 'X' on your stacked cubes, did you just cut slots half way in each piece of wood and then interlocked them together, or did you join them together in a different manner. If you cut the slots, what did you use?

Just as commentary, I have found that many home winemakers who make alot also tend to do atleast a little woodworking, mostly building their own wine racks. I guess it all comes from the do it yourself attitude.

Comment

• jwd12
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • Dyer, In..
                  • BT3100

I did just dado each X half way and then cut 2 45 degree angles on each end of the X. I started to construct a tall tower like the one you referenced. The pine I bought would not square up from the top to the bottom, so I made individual boxes. The dovetails are probably an overkill but I wanted a strong joint, (and the LOML gifted me a dovetail jig). Good luck My next project is a tasting table and chairs.
                  Attached Files
                  I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

Working...