X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

An IKEA Mountain!

I've recently completed a kitchen for the son of a friend - he turned up with a truck-load of flatpacks, looking for someone to install them! In total, there were 12 base units, 7 wall units and 6 worktops - two of which had to be joined lengthwise to make a peninsular top.

To make the job more "interesting," the way the units fix means that they have flush backs. I'm used to cabinets with inset backs (for plumbing and electric recess), but in this case I had to run the plumbing below toe-kick height, then step it out and up through the bottom of the unit.

The wooden worktops were beech staves, 38mm (1.5") thick, but they had a very small chamfer around every single edge - talk about making life difficult for the fitter! If I'd have butted them as they were, either together for the peninsular, or at right angles for the worktop returns, there would have been a "V" groove at the joint. It's bad practice to use a mason's miter with real wood worktops, so there was nothing for it but to remove the chamfer with a router along the joining faces, finish up with a chisel, then butt join the pieces. I used conventional worktop connecting bolts and biscuits to aid alignment and everything turned out fine. I'm especially pleased with the peninsular - I know where the join is and I can't see it!

I'll let someone else have the sheer joy of tiling!

If you're interested, pictures are here.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.
  • Jaden
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Trenton, MI
    • BT3100

Really nice work Ray

Steve
    "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

That came together nicely, Ray. Ikea projects may not be the most fulfilling for a woodworker, but they go from 0 to 60 in nothing flat. You did a great job of making it look "custom".

I really like the room, too. Windows on both sides and plenty of space. The client's got to be thrillled.

JR
      JR

Comment

• gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Awesome work Ray. They look very nice.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Copper
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Madison, WI.
          • BT3100

Very nice Ray! Are you going to put some crown molding around the tops of the cabinets or leave the gap there? Kind of an interesting look, but might trap a lot of dust.
          - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
          and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• gmack5
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Nice Job, Ray!
            Very professional, to say the least.
            Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
            Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
            George

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Copper
              Very nice Ray! Are you going to put some crown molding around the tops of the cabinets or leave the gap there? Kind of an interesting look, but might trap a lot of dust.
              Crown moulding has never been as popular here and is currently completely out of fashion. The IKEA wall units are fairly basic, but this package included the optional trim panels (for exposed vertical sides) and cornice moulding (as fitted above and below the cabinets in the picture below). Flash photograpy has accentuated the effect - without the dark shadow, it's much more pleasing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bhk08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	779075

The vertical trim panels make the cabinet doors appear to be inset, but they are, in fact, full overlays on European hinges. The trim panels extend below the cabinets to enclose the cornice. The upper cornice is fixed "upside down" to mirror the lower.

The cabinets were ordered because of their increased height, but if set high enough to close the gap above the cornice, they become less user-friendly due to shelf height. It's pretty much the basic design flavor in the UK at the moment - which is why I prefer to make my own.

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Clemson, SC, USA
                • Rigid TS3650

Really nice work Ray and loved the saga of your vacation in the US. Great fun!
                Ken Weaver
                Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Nice work Ray!
                  John Hunter

Comment

Working...