• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

If you use your BT3x saw regularly, seriously invest in a Shark Guard. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

UPS1990..... this application is perfect for a sled jig. For my own use I cobble up a single purpose sled for items like this rather than fumbling with a large " ultimate one jig does it all" and have to change it over every time I use it. A special purpose jig migh have 3-4 different cuts it does well with a minimum of change parts. My most used sled jig cuts Tiny Table apron angles and leg compound angles. I do not use a blade guard on this jig, but have a stop that prevents the blade from coming through the back of the sled. I did have a lexan guard on the top.........but I ran the blade too far up one time and cut it in half, so I took it off. I use toggle clamps to hold the material down so my hand and fingers stay well away from the blade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3425.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	830749
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

For those who want the splitter part of the BT's guard assembly without modifying your stock guard, you can buy the splitter part separately (Sears or Ereplacement parts I believe), and cut off the upper portion. I did this when before I got a Shart, and made my own version, as shown here.
        This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

[QUOTE=Bill in Buena Park;n830766I did this when before I got a Shart,[/QUOTE]

My inner middle-schooler just LOL'd

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Dang keys on the phone getting smaller each year...
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• UPS1990
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2017
              • Southern Cal
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              UPS1990..... this application is perfect for a sled jig. For my own use I cobble up a single purpose sled for items like this rather than fumbling with a large " ultimate one jig does it all" and have to change it over every time I use it. A special purpose jig migh have 3-4 different cuts it does well with a minimum of change parts. My most used sled jig cuts Tiny Table apron angles and leg compound angles. I do not use a blade guard on this jig, but have a stop that prevents the blade from coming through the back of the sled. I did have a lexan guard on the top.........but I ran the blade too far up one time and cut it in half, so I took it off. I use toggle clamps to hold the material down so my hand and fingers stay well away from the blade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3425.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	830749
              Good advice. I will dedicate a couple of sleds to be able to perform different cuts and what not. Maybe I'm crazy but I look forward to building more sleds! My primary sled was fun to build. The woodworking bug has definitely bit me. My top priorities are GOD, family, country followed by a tie between golf and woodworking.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Well, today marked the second instance of kickback that I can remember. I had a 16" x 48" piece of 1/4" plywood that I was cross cutting 11.5" pieces off of. I had cut two and working on the third. Taking it easy and not paying attention (it's only 1/4" material, after all...). The third piece got snagged on one of the other two pieces on my outfeed table as I was pushing it past the blade, kinked slightly at the end of the cut, pinched between the fence and the blade and got flung right back at me...of course I was standing directly behind it.

Got lucky, just have a 1/4" x ~6" bruise across my belly and a couple minor scratches. Could have been a lot worse. A nice safety reminder every time I bend over slightly.

Really dumb, though. Of course I know I should not have the cutoff between the blade and the fence and I should have made sure all the previous pieces were clear off the outfeed table. Got lazy at the end of the cut and didn't push it hard enough through.
                Joe

Comment

Working...