• Show
Clear All
  • UPS1990
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2017
    • Southern Cal
    • BT 3100

Dual miter slot question

I've installed DMS on both sides of the blade and know that they can be used with a miter gauge and sleds. My question is this, could they also be made to accommodate jigs and fixtures?. Reading past post, members say that you can use these slots for tenon jigs others feel one should make t-track slots.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Either way works fine. Those that recommend the t-track slots did so because they did not have, or want to use, or want to buy the DMS. One can be made fairly easy by some, but not by others. Alignment is key - knowing how to and being able to do it within specific tolerances.

For me, I could make one but I preferred long ago to buy the SMS.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Right just make sure your slots are aligned with the blade (on the BT3x, the blade is stationary and everything else gets aligned to it). I also have DMS's on both sides of my blade and have used them with jigs, although my tenoning jig references off of the fence.

Comment

• mayday
        Handtools only
        • May 2017

Originally posted by UPS1990
        I've installed DMS on both sides of the blade and know that they can be used with a miter gauge and sleds. My question is this, could they also be made to accommodate jigs and fixtures?. Reading past post, members say that you can use these slots for tenon jigs others feel one should make t-track slots.
        How did you manage to install the second MS?I have my second MS but i have no ideea how to mount it to the right of saw.
        How did you attach yours?

Comment

• UPS1990
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2017
          • Southern Cal
          • BT 3100

I bought an older 3000 model for parts and used the motor table to install the second slot to the right of the blade. Perfect fit! No need to mess with brackets and holes. Now if you decide to go this route, members have posted how to go about installing the 2nd slot with hardware. Searching this site, there was a link to a site that sold a kit to mount it on the right but it's no longer available. Maybe someone else could post a suggestion?

Comment

• mayday
            Handtools only
            • May 2017

I bought an older 3000 model for parts and used the motor table to install the second slot to the right of the blade. Perfect fit! No need to mess with brackets and holes. Now if you decide to go this route, members have posted how to go about installing the 2nd slot with hardware. Searching this site, there was a link to a site that sold a kit to mount it on the right but it's no longer available. Maybe someone else could post a suggestion?
            Thanks for the reply. I already contacted the guy that was making that kit but he is not making them anymore.

I'll search the site and see if anyone posted a picture of the kit

Comment

• UPS1990
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2017
              • Southern Cal
              • BT 3100

Just after installing the 2nd DMS, I made my cross cut sled using the plans from William Ng. Repeatively watching his video over and over in order to properly understand all the details, very happy with this sled, in fact, my smt is collecting dust.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I use a sled with only one miter slot insert using a single runner. Works just fine. Love my sled much more than my SMT.
                Joe

Comment

• arunvkamath
                  • Aug 2017
                  • Mesa, AZ
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Where did you buy the DMS's and what did you pay for each of them ?

Comment

• UPS1990
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2017
                    • Southern Cal
                    • BT 3100

The first slot came with the Home Depot $99 kit, the second one was purchased at a local swap meet for $20. No doubt these parts are getting difficult to fine. My hope would be for someone with machine shop capabilities to make some to purchase.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suppose they are rather easily made of you want by buying a short couple of lengths of T-slot miter track - the 3/4" wide, 3/8" deep kind. Many of them are undercut to you can use a inverted T miter bar that won't lift out. or use a normal miter gauge you can drop in. Here's one at Rocker that has both a T-track for locking down 1/4-20 bolt heads as well as a full inverted T miter slot. Click image for larger version  Name:	thumb.php?s=273&f=https%3a%2f%2fassets.rockler.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2f2%2f3%2f23880-01-1000.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	831153
                      Or a regular track:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.php?s=273&f=https%3a%2f%2fassets.rockler.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2f4%2f8%2f48037-02-1000.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	831154
                      Anyway you can put a couple (for dual slots) or just a single of these in a piece of wood using a dado blade to cut the groove and then mount the wood to your table with appropriate shims.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-08-2017, 03:21 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Thirtybird
                        Handtools only
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by mayday

Thanks for the reply. I already contacted the guy that was making that kit but he is not making them anymore.

I'll search the site and see if anyone posted a picture of the kit
                        Did you ever find the details of the kit? I've gotten ahold of a a second miter track and knew there were some tricks to get it mounted easily.

Comment

• inkslinger
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2014

I like this second motor table for my spare Miter Slot table, easy set-up. And the motor tables are available still on ebay. beat having to try to drill into my miter saw.

Comment

• inkslinger
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2014

Will I came across a motor table an won for $13. plus shipping came out for $30. on ebay so now I can install my second miter slot table with out drilling anything .

Comment

• UPS1990
                              UPS1990 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Were you able to install both pieces to to your saw?
                          Working...