• Show
Clear All
  • ChrisAllen357
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2017
    • McHenry, IL
    • BT3000

Any how to videos?

So i just bought a 10 year old bt3000 and I'm trying to figure this thing out. I'm looking at the blade enclosure to get the blade changed and its pretty tight in there. I don't even see enough clearance to get the bolt off. I'm new to this site and haven't found a way to search posts. Thank you!
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Make sure you raise the blade raised up all the way before attempting to change it.

Just an aside - your saw is definitely older than 10 years old. The BT3100 (the last of the series) was discontinued in 2006. You said you have the BT3000, which I believe was discontinued around 2001 or 2002. So unless your saw is from the last couple years, it dates from the 90s.

Here's a link to a video which might be helpful. It's about the 3100 but enough info should be common:
    This is the DVD that used to be included with the Ryobi BT3100 Table Saw. Thanks to the community at BT3Central.com, I was able to get my hands on a copy. No...

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

The manual recommends tilting the arbor to 45 degrees to change the blade but I have never had any need to do that with the blade raised all the way up. It is tight but the arbor nut can be removed and replaced with a little care.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Did you get the original flat-steel wrenches when you bought the saw? If so, raise the blade as high as possible, place one of the flat wrenches on the right-side of the blade to hold the arbor shaft; it has 'flat' to accept the wrench. There is a notch in the table to hold that wrench in place, thus locking the arbor in place.

Then use whatever wrench you prefer (I like an open-end, box wrench) to loosen and remove the arbor nut.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

And no one has said.... make sure the saw is unplugged? It still makes my skin crawl every time I change a blade and remember I haven't unplugged the saw. After about 45 years of using a power saw I've about learned though!

Comment

• ChrisAllen357
            Handtools only
            • Jan 2017
            • McHenry, IL
            • BT3000

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone, and thank you for the safety tips! I did not get the flat wrenches with it, in fact I think he took out the set screws that adjust the throat plate too. He said he hadn't used it in 10 years, so I'm thinking I need to go in and clean and lube it before to much use. I tried to cut some 3/4" plywood and it seemed to struggle with it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hi Chris, you might find my FAQ (frequently asked questions) on the BT3 series saws very helpful. I think the link in my signature should work, if not let me know.

There's sections in there about common issues with the wrenches, on changing blades, and on hard cutting problems. 3/4 plywood should be a piece of cake.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-23-2017, 12:34 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

If it's struggling with 3/4" ply I'd suspect either a very dull blade or a rip fence that's badly adjusted. As Loring said the saw should barely know that 3/4" ply is there.

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I don't know about this saw, but on my saw the arbor nut uses a left-handed thread. This may be helpful to know if you haven't changed the blade before. However, someone who has a BT3000 should confirm this to be the case here.
                  Richard

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Yes I think that's true of all table saws, so the force of being used doesn't turn them loose

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Hi Chris, you might find my FAQ (frequently asked questions) on the BT3 series saws very helpful. I think the link in my signature should work, if not let me know.

There's sections in there about common issues with the wrenches, on changing blades, and on hard cutting problems. 3/4 plywood should be a piece of cake.
                      +1 on Loring's FAQ !

His document is crazy good!
                      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        LCHIEN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, I appreciate that!
                    Working...