X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rathbk
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2017

BT3000 Elevation Mechanism Stripped

I have a BT3000 with early-generation motor. The hole in the motor housing that marries up to the elevation screw (worm gear?) stripped completely. Anyone have a line on the parts to make a helicoil repair to this?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Is the article that details the helicoil repair if you've not seen it. Most major auto parts stores should carry the required kit, if not they should be able to order one for you.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by rathbk
      I have a BT3000 with early-generation motor. The hole in the motor housing that marries up to the elevation screw (worm gear?) stripped completely. Anyone have a line on the parts to make a helicoil repair to this?
      A Timesert is a better option than a Helicoil to repair this. A Helicoil is like a spring, it's just the threads and has to have enough and strong enough metal to hold it, and is really a temporary or emergency repair. A Timesert is a complete threaded insert and will make permanent repair. http://www.timesert.com/

I repaired one of mine a couple years ago, after I got tired of replacing the worn out Helicoil. Has been fine since then, no sign of wearing out.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• rathbk
        rathbk commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the "permanent" repair option. Since you've made the repair in the past, can you verify that the elevation screw is a 9/16-12? And I assume the Timesert option would require that I purchase the entire kit including the drill bit, tap, insert tool, insert, etc. in order to be able to do the repair?
    • woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania

I will need to dig out the kit to verify, but will do so. Unfortunately there is a cost premium to the TimeSert kit, so depending on how much you use the saw, the Helicoil may be a reasonable option. You may also be able to find the replacement piece on Ebay or another source for less than the TimeSert kit, just make sure it is the correct one.

Comment

• rathbk
        rathbk commented
        Editing a comment
        The complete kit including the insert, drill bit, tap, counterbore and insert tool for 9/16-12 is $128, but the inserts without the tool kit to go along are $3.41 each. Its my understanding that everything except the counterbore tool are standard tools, I may have to go back and buy the kit, but I've got access to tools, and am going to try it without buying the kit of tools first. I'll let you know how it goes.
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Look at EZ LOK thread inserts. They are about $15 for a 5 pack. They still require boring out and re-tapping the existing thread but is a standard size bit and tap that probably won't cost as much.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by capncarl
        Look at EZ LOK thread inserts. They are about $15 for a 5 pack. They still require boring out and re-tapping the existing thread but is a standard size bit and tap that probably won't cost as much.
        Their solid inserts look like they would work as well as a TimeSert, and using standard tools for installation is a huge plus. Wish I had known about that option when I did my repair. Do any of the box stores carry them?
        Last edited by woodturner; 01-19-2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I've never seen them in any of our big box stores. I have shopped at Fastenal a lot, they have threaded inserts. If you have a Granger they can get them.

Comment

Working...