• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4Patriot
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2017
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Crosscut sled for BT3100

Hi, all. I'm a new member and this is my first post.

recently purchased a BT3100 and am now trying to come to grips with some of the shortcomings I should have reckoned with before parting with my money.

One is the absence of miter tracks in the table surface, which makes the build/use of a crosscut sled somewhat problematic. I am wondering if I could just attached miter rails to the underside of the sled, so as to line up with the outer edges of the center/fixed saw table. Then I could pull the sliding tables on the right and left in, snugly bracing the sled rails. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue in this way, and what kind of accuracy I might expect.

Otherwise, I've seen a photo online of miter tracks set in to wood rails and somehow attached to the center table. Can anyone point me in the direction of a plan or solution for this?

I would appreciate any help you can offer or suggest.

Thanks.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

There is a miter slot table available that some use and I do also. But it is for one side only. A few people have a miter slot table on BOTH sides and I think some of them use a cutoff/miter sled. It is very doable.

I think a few people have made their own miter slot tables/guides out of plywood. I am sure there are a few picts somewhere of these setups. I will let some others who have more specific information comment on this.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information here.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

The BT3 saws do not have any method to adjust how parallel the saw blade is to the sides of the main tabletop... there is no guarantee they'll be parallel. Odds are in fact they won't be parallel. So a sled that references the tabletop edge itself is not a good idea. The whole design of the BT3 saw is based on having the fence, sliding miter table and its fence, etc. be adjustable to match the blade, unlike most saws where the table's miter slot is the reference and the blade support mechanism (trunion) is adjusted to match.

As Hank posted, options are to use the dual miter slot table accessory which mounts to the left of the blade using existing holes in the saw body. Folks have been able to drill/adapt and mount the dual miter slot accessory to the right side as well. When these are installed, you'll find the screw holes are a little over-sized so the miter slots can be adjusted parallel to the blade. Using aftermarket miter slots, mounted to wood carrier boards, works too. You can use the existing screw holes to the left of the blade for such a gizmo. For the right side of the blade, drilling holes or attaching to the fence rails are options. The BT3 fence and rails include special slots for "T-nuts" (flat square-shaped metal bits with a threaded hole in the center for screws or knobs). Look at the inside edge of the front and rear rails... you'll see a slot running the length of the rail that looks like it'd take a 1 inch tall by 1/16 (or so) inch thick item - that's where T-nuts go. Insert a T-nut, an 90 degree simple bent-metal "L" piece (upside-down so the horizontal part of the "L" is top-most), and locking knob/screw and you've made something that you can screw to that t-track and wood carrier. The SMT fence and main fence also accept these T-nuts. Many pics on this website show add-ons folks have developed for BT3s using T-nuts and these slots. The "wide table kit" includes parts just like I described and has diagrams showing how to make and mount a tabletop with these pieces.

Take a look at sample bracket

What about attaching a larger flat piece (e.g. plywood) to the SMT? Let the SMT do its job sliding fore/aft parallel to the blade, carrying your crosscut sled.

mpc
      Last edited by mpc; 01-06-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Actually on my particular BT31001, the edges of the center table are parallel to the blade, both left and right sides. Personally, I very much like the SMT (Sliding Miter Table) and it is one of the reasons I bought the BT. But I do understand that far more seasoned table saw users than I feel it is a draw back. To each his own, and I understand why a "cross-cut" sled would be advantageous.

While I have not built such, I do have a jig that I built to cut bevels for Quaker-like raised panels. It employs the use of the "slot" created by moving the SMT close to the left edge of the center. Locked in position, it allows a space/slot of width to your choosing, in which a miter-like guide may slide. In my case, I actually use the SMT table (without the cross-cut fence) to assist in moving the jig, with the stock clamped in place, through the cut.

Provided the edges of your BT's center table are parallel to the blade, I see no reason why the Accessory Table mounted on the right side couldn't be adjusted to provide the same gap/slot for a sliding miter. Hence you would have what you need.

If the center table edges are not parallel to the blade, how much effort would it really be to install shop-made miter-slot inserts an both left and right that can be milled to be parallel?

I just did a quick check on the Home Depot site and I see that the BT Accessory Kit is still available. Among other components, it contains a dual miter slot table. ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Acc...+accessory+kit )

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's a section on miter slots and stuff in the BT3 FAQ, see link at the bottom of my post.You might find the whole thing useful if you just got your saw.

The way the saw is designed and aligned, there's no guarantee that the saw blade is parallel to the grooves or sides of the main table section.
          I always though if you wanted a sled you should build it to the sliding miter table. But some people clearly prefer miter slots..
          I do use the SMT for many things but serious crosscutting - I use my 12" CMS.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-08-2017, 01:30 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I have the miter slot table that's was sold by Ryobi. I use a crosscut sled with only one runner and it's been great for me. My SMT was too finicky and I got tired of adjusting it to get it square. My sled is dead on every time.
            Joe

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
              I have the miter slot table that's was sold by Ryobi. I use a crosscut sled with only one runner and it's been great for me. My SMT was too finicky and I got tired of adjusting it to get it square. My sled is dead on every time.
              Same here, see if you can get a miter slot table. You can still find them being sold online from some of the parts companies. Also occasionally on ebay.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

I have miter slots on both sides of mine. I don't use them often but they're handy occasionally. The main reason I like them is it fills in the table... I didn't like the large open gaps in the table without them.

I do most of my crosscutting on my SCMS, but I love the sliding miter table when I do use it.

Comment

Working...