X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajgoal
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2016

Elevation issues

Over the weekend, I replaced the belts on my BT3000. Saw is running fine with the change. However, now I can't raise or lower the blade. The shims are fine, they were in good shape when I pulled the riser plate off, and they are back where they belong. I removed the blade guard to ensure the pawls weren't catching. I don't believe this is an issue with the threads being stripped, as it will turn about a turn and a half or so in either direction within the same range before binding up. The elevation handle is definitely engaging and turning the drive rod before it catches. I tried disengaging the elevation handle by setting it to adjust the angle and using a wrench to turn the threaded rod, and it binds in about the same location. I've applied dry lube to the screw mechanism, but that had no effect.

Do I need to pull apart the mechanism? I feel like the elevation wasn't going as high as it should have before this issue, as the blade wouldn't elevate far enough to cut through 1 3/4 inch stock. Is there a possibility that I could just loosen the jam nuts at the bottom and fix the issue? Or am I looking at something more involved? I'm not keen on disassembling the motor elevation mechanism, but if I need to to get the full range of motion out of the saw I will. Does anyone have any hints for the process? I know some folks have fixed the issue, but I am not really sure exactly how they've gone about it.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the first thing to check that you didn't mention, is the elevation rod (vertical threaded rod) and associated parts it conencts to , completely free and clear of sawdust? THat is one of the most common problems I hear when people say their saw elevation is stuck. More suggestions in my BT3 FAQ.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ajgoal
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2016

Thanks. Turns out that even though I cleaned as much as I could see, there was some still in the teeth on the backside of the gears. Picked up an air gun and blew out the back, and it let the gears rotate far enough that I could use a screwdriver to clean them out completely. Re-lubed everything, and have full range of motion again.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you're welcome. And welcome to the forum.
        Don't be a stranger.

Like I said, my BT3 FAQ might be an interesting read. See my sig line below.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Welcome to the forum - hope you stick around.

Comment

• ajgoal
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2016

Thanks guys. First thing I did when I signed up was to get a copy o the FAQ. Been really informative.

Comment

Working...